Free Tier Components and Monthly Costs

Hello Community,
There is a lot of documentation on the Google Cloud Platform, and that is fantastic, but it also makes it a bit confusing for someone new to working with Google Cloud.

I have a "simple" question, and I hope someone knows the answer: I am currently on a free tier (for 90 days), and I understand that the $300 will be nulled after this period, but:
- are there any free components after the 90 days,
- is there a monthly limit, and
- for which modules is there a monthly limit?

I want to budget my use of the platform to inform my project about the potential costs when running a query.

I am looking forward to your suggestions and help.
Best regards,
Gijs

Solved Solved
0 4 1,160
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That's right, Gijs. After the free trial period, billing will accrue for any products and usage outside the free tier limits. Note though that, as mentioned in https://cloud.google.com/free/docs/free-cloud-features#free-tier, the products and usage limits in the free tier might change over time. Closer to when your free trial period ends, I suggest checking the above again to see if there are any changes for Vertex AI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Gijs1973 ,

The "Free Tier" continues after the free trial period. For detailed info about the validity period of the free tier and usage limits, please see https://cloud.google.com/free/docs/free-cloud-features#free-tier. That page  should contain answers to most of your questions, possibly all. If you need more info, please post here.

I hope this helps.

Dear @kumards ,
Thank you for your reply and link to the documentation. I have visited this page before, but under Program coverage: Free Tier coverage varies by service. Not all Google Cloud services offer resources as part of the Free Tier, there are a lot of services mentioned, and I don't know how my program fits into this Tier.

To give a bit of context, I have a CoLab notebook calling:

import vertexai
from vertexai.preview.language_models import TextGenerationModel

Under the current plan, I see that small costs associated with running the code, but because I have the $300 credits, I will not be billed. I presume that there are no "free limits" for using the VertexAI after the Free Tier Trail period, and that I will be billed for the input and output I send and receive from the code, but I would like to be sure this is the case. 

Kind regards,
Gijs

That's right, Gijs. After the free trial period, billing will accrue for any products and usage outside the free tier limits. Note though that, as mentioned in https://cloud.google.com/free/docs/free-cloud-features#free-tier, the products and usage limits in the free tier might change over time. Closer to when your free trial period ends, I suggest checking the above again to see if there are any changes for Vertex AI.

Thanks @kumards  - I have put a reminder up, and will check total costs and usage before the trail ends (as recommened), and plan for the next phase of the project.