AppSheet Community Roundup: May 2022

Lauren_vdv
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi app creators! Welcome to our monthly Community Roundup series. Check out our latest news and upcoming events, along with our top contributors and conversations. 

appsheet-roundup-may.png

Introducing the new and improved AppSheet Help Center

help-center-ask-workspace-social-51622.png

This month, the AppSheet team launched the new and improved AppSheet Help Center, now available at support.google.com/appsheet.

The new AppSheet Help Center retains all existing articles, and addresses many of the usability issues that have been raised with our current doc site, including:

• More learning assistance such as videos, tutorials, and community tips that address common use cases
  • Improved search and navigation
  • Roadmap for using AppSheet to provide guidance on the overall app development process and what to do next
  • Ability to filter the AppSheet function list
  • Content refresh to update or remove out-dated content and implement stylistic changes
  • Ability to provide feedback on docs

See more details in the post from @lizlynch here. 

In case you missed it: How to use and optimize expressions

For app creators, expressions are a powerful way to customize behavior and add sophisticated logic throughout your app, from incorporating conditional statements and managing lists, to extracting data from images, detecting user details, and much more. 

However, it can be challenging to know which expressions to use where, and the best way to build them into your app to deliver the results you want.

Last month, the Community came together for AppSheet Office Hours focused on how to use and optimize expressions. Check out the session recording to learn more about:

• Types of expressions and when to use them
  • How to build and test expressions 
  • Common use cases with live demos 

Here are a few additional resources on expressions, but stay tuned in the Community for a session recap post including written Q&A:

Have a topic you want us to focus on for our next Office Hours? Please let us know in the comments!

👋 Meet Joseph Seddik: AppSheet Community Member Spotlight

joseph-seddik-member-spotlight.png

This month we’re shining the spotlight on @Joseph_Seddik!

When asked why he contributes to the Community, Joseph says, 

The community helps me explore new ways and use cases of employing AppSheet. I learn on a daily basis through reading and also contributing. 

To be able to provide a solution, one has to fully understand the subject matter, and in many cases it pushes the boundaries of your creativity to solve problems. 

I used to manage technical projects and I was always eager to craft the training and documentation myself. This is the best way to learn.”

It’s been inspiring and incredible how quickly you’ve made such a positive impact on the Community. Thank you Joseph! Read the complete spotlight story here

Who do you want to meet next? Let us know in the comments!

Community tip of the month: Automatically repeating (looping) actions

We're continually impressed with all the tips and tricks members share in the AppSheet Community. Taking the time to share your knowledge, lessons learned, and recommendations goes a long way in helping app creators accomplish their goals with AppSheet. Thank you! 

This month, we wanted to highlight this tip from @Steve on looping with actions, which is especially helpful for app creators who need to perform actions repeatedly. Steve provides a step-by-step guide to add rows to a table automatically, plus helpful sample apps to get you going (linked below).

Supporting resources:

Don't forget to share your appreciation by liking the post or adding a comment 😀

looping-with-actions-sample-app.png

Product updates and release notes

Here’s an overview of AppSheet product updates and enhancements over the past month. To stay up-to-date with the latest, make sure you subscribe to Release Notes.

release-notes-subscribe.png

New governance policies to restrict prototype sharing

Two new policies have been added to AppSheet to restrict Prototype Authentication and Restrict Prototype Sharing.

1. Restrict Prototype Authentication

Apps must:

• Require user sign-in
  • Prevent all signed-in users from accessing the app (disable Allow all signed-in users)
  • Disable Require domain authentication

By default, this policy applies to prototype apps; you can change the targeted apps.

Note: It's required that you use this policy with Restrict Prototype Sharing to fully limit prototype access.

2. Restrict who can deploy apps

• Apps can be deployed only by specific app creators

For complete details, see Define governance policies.

Improvements to the email automation configuration experience

The following enhancements have been made to the dynamic email feature

• When sending email from an automation, the new Email Type field enables you to select one of the following options for the email body: Embedded app view (dynamic) or Custom template
  • When you select Embedded app view, you are prompted to select the Detail or Form view to embed in the email using the App view to embed in email body field.
  • You can now click Preview email to preview either email type.

Note: Dynamic email will soon be referred to as embedded app view emails.

These changes will be rolled out over the next several weeks.

For more information, see: 

What’s available in preview

The Preview Program is where AppSheet app creators can try out new app features that are not yet fully supported (learn more about the program and how to get started here). Here’s what’s currently available in the program:

Top five contributors in May

We love to see how many of you are eager to participate in the Community's discussions. Let’s take a quick look at who contributed the most by replies authored and topics published in the month of May. Please meet our top five contributors:

Thank you @Suvrutt_Gurjar@Steve@Joseph_Seddik@Koichi_Tsuji, and @Marc_Dillon!  

Are you ready to become our next top contributor? Learn all about how to contribute to the Community here.

Top three conversations in May

Here are our most popular discussions in the Google Cloud Community over the past month:

Looking for more topics and discussions? Visit the AppSheet Q&A or Tips & Tricks forums to join the conversation or start something new.

We hope you enjoy our new feature updates and thank you to all our Community members who continue to make this space an engaging and informative place to be. If you have any feedback, please feel free to add your thoughts to the Community Feedback forum here or add a comment directly to this post.

Make sure you don't miss out on the latest Community news, activities, or opportunities by subscribing to News & Announcements. To do so, go to the Announcements page and click on the blue button that says "Subscribe." You can also learn more about how to manage your subscriptions and notifications in this article here.

Thanks everyone. Until next time!

The Google Cloud Community Team

7 9 1,072
9 REPLIES 9

@Lauren_vdv wrote:

Who do you want to meet next? Let us know in the comments!

Well, I've been waiting for a @MultiTech@1minManager and @Steve Spotlight post. No one can deny the impresive amount of encouragement and help these three have given to us. For sure no one can be pushed to do it, but since you asked, I'm very interested to know them more!

Love to hear it, thanks @SkrOYC ! 😀

@SkrOYC wrote:

@Steve Spotlight post

ICYMI: Check out @MultiTech's recent @Steve interview. AppSheet Community royalty!

Interesting, thanks @dbaum 

I though the same @Steve 😂

https://youtu.be/6HQlseJjhf4?t=1251

Well the Jedi master @MultiTech does have is own Youtube channel.  Though I'd certainly like to hear his back story.

@Steve I've often got confused as to whether he's employed by Appsheet or not.  But he certainly seems to know his onions

As for me, sure I'll do it if @Lauren_vdv wants 🙂

As as suggestion @Lauren_vdv send me the questions and I'll do a video.  Trying to become as rich and famous as @MultiTech 🤣

@Lauren_vdv Thank you Lauren and thanks to all dear fellow members. Being part of this community has been one of the most productive and enjoyable endeavours in my career! 

I'd really much like to know more about @SkrOYC , @1minManager , @Steve , @MultiTech , @TeeSee1 , @Rafael_ANEIC-PY , @Fabian_Weller , @Lynn and @Rifad 🙂 

And @Kirk_Masden 🙂

Thanks @Joseph_Seddik !  Here's a little summary of my relationship to AppSheet at this point.

I've spent a very long time (6 years now?) developing some educational apps that people can use for free. The plan is to make them available as samples / templates.  At this point, I've been using them in my own classes but I'm not quite ready to "go public"; the apps are more-or-less ready by I want to put together a complete set of videos documenting usage and the ideas behind the apps before I try to attract general users.

Since I've more-or-less finished my apps, I haven't been very active on the community recently.  I plan to check in from time to time though. 🙂