Introducing AppSheet Chat Apps for Google Workspace Users [Private Preview]

[UPDATE, Jan 2023]
Chat Apps are now available in public preview!
Check out this post to learn more and get access.

Hello AppSheet Community,

We are excited to announce that AppSheet-powered no-code Chat apps are now available to Workspace customers in private preview! 

If you’d like to get access to this feature in your AppSheet account, please submit your request via this form. 

Once you are enabled for the feature, you can click on the "Chat" tab in the left menu to start configuring your no-code Chat app. You can provide feedback or report bugs in this thread. We're targeting a full launch in 2023.

What is a No-Code Chat app?

Using AppSheet's No-Code Chat App builder, your new or existing AppSheet apps can now run in Google Chat. Your Chat users can now interact with these AppSheet-powered apps (or any automations they contain) from Chat DMs, group conversations, or spaces.

Rachelgmoore_0-1670956183643.gif

How does it work? 

Chat apps enable users to interact with your AppSheet apps in Google Chat. When you configure and publish your AppSheet app as a Google Chat app, AppSheet automatically creates a Chat card-based menu of the views in your app. This card-based menu view is the most basic form of an AppSheet Chat app.

Rachelgmoore_1-1670956183445.png

While we’re still in the early stages of building the full breadth of the AppSheet Chat app builder and integration, we’re excited to share that as of now:

1️⃣ App creators can deploy any new or existing AppSheet app (including templates) as a Chat app. They can:

• Configure slash commands to open views or run automations
  • Configure automations to send messages and app views to Chat spaces based on data change or schedule-based triggers

2️⃣ Once an app creator deploys and publishes an AppSheet Chat app, users can:

• Navigate through an AppSheet app via Chat
  • View data, take actions on rows, or create new rows (deck view, detail view, and form view are currently supported, with more to come in later versions of the feature)
  • Use custom slash commands and space event listeners to control Chat app behaviors— trigger an automation to run, shortcut to an app view, and more.

Where can I learn more? How do I get access?

Am I eligible to join the private preview? 

Chat apps are free for paid Workspace customers with an AppSheet Core plan or higher. If that’s you, great! 

Fill out this form and we’ll opt you in within 3 business days. Users who will be *creating* or *using* Chat apps will need to be opted in to use the Chat app builder or Chat apps themselves.

Can I read more about Chat apps?
Known issues and limitations
  • While any app creator can enable and configure a Chat App, you’ll need the ability to create free projects on Google Cloud Platform (GCP) to publish them.
  • Chat apps currently support some, but not all views and column types (full list here). If your app uses an unsupported element, users who interact with it will be redirected to the web version.
  • Chat-side users need access to AppSheet (e.g., have licenses for AppSheet) in order to interact with your Chat app.
  • Visit the Help Center article for a full list of limitations

As this feature is in preview, it should not be used for production use cases.

We'd love to hear if you have any specific use cases in mind for Chat apps, If you have any other feedback, share it in this thread as well! 

9 2 1.5M
2 REPLIES 2

I feel this is the first step to enable multiple users working at the same project at the same time

وأنا أقول الشعور نفسه