Apigee Hybrid Runtime Minimum Requirements

Hi, I have two question on Apigee Hybrid Runtime:

1. What is the minimum requirement specs for the runtime plane? According to the documents the minimum requirements are 4 cpu and 16gb of ram, and 6 nodes and 2 VM. Does it really impact on performance if I only have 4 nodes, or run all the nodes in the sam VM with 8cpu and 32gb of ram?

2. With the minimum specs given in the documents, how many request can the runtime handle? and how can I scale the runtime?

0 1 511
1 REPLY 1

Hello Khang

Good question.

Here are the documented minimum requirements. https://cloud.google.com/apigee/docs/hybrid/v1.8/cluster-overview

Specific to your questions:

1. You will need minimum of 3 Stateful nodes and 3 Stateless nodes. The system is designed for zero downtime and you will need to plan for this minimum set. When the traffic grows or no of environments grow, you will need more CPU's. Will be good to find out your non functional requirements and plan your capacity. Once you meet your minimum node criteria, it is upto you on how you decide on your node configuration. You can go with 8cpu and 32gb ram if that gives you lower cost compared to multiple 4 cpu nodes.

2. QPS (or TPS) depends on various factors including your payload size, what you do inside Apigee proxy, how many callouts you are making. You will need todo a performance test with your conditions and determine your QPS. 

Part 2b: How can you scale - It again depends on from what QPS to what QPS. In general the stateless nodes are the ones that need to scale. So you will need to have enough IPs allocated to accommodate your growth.

If you are working with a Presales engineer, please reach out and get some help in your capacity planning.