Apigee On Prem / OPDK API Management Best Practices

Not applicable

Hi Apigee Team, My query is particularly to Apigee On Prem Platform, Where can I get/know the details about number of requests at a time, Request and Response message Payload Maximum Size, other important stats and other Best Practices in API Management thru Apigee On Prem platform?

Solved Solved
0 5 1,126
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @P.Ganesan unfortunately I do not think there is one comprehensive best practice book.

However a few best practices will be as follows:

1. If you are trying to do a POC 1 node aio install should suffice

2. For doing a production deployment of Apigee you should do a minimum 5 node setup (various setup options are available in the on-prem guide)

3. if you have 4 core licenses of EDGE it should be able to take anywhere between few hundreds to a thousand transactions per second. The exact number you can find out only by doing a performance testing on the setup , because of the tps varies because of the following :

a. Average payload size of request response

b. latency between Apigee and backend

c. Latency of the backend

d. Policies implemented inside Apigee. ANy policy which do not deal with payloads is very fast (1-2 ms) , like API key validation policy etc. But if you want to do xslt on the payload or use a custom java code to encrypt the payload then the latency will be higher.

e. Particular EDGE setup. A 5 node setup is the minimum setup for production HA but is not the most optimum. Depending on your requirements for uptime SLA,use cases for Apigee, throughput desired the deployment might be configured to be more performant.

4. 8 core licenses will give you roughly 1.5x the throughput of 4 core license.

5. Apigee can handle very large loads (in hundreds of MBs etc.) , but for that large load try to use the streaming feature

6. Follow the operations guide that comes with the software and if you have specific questions ask on the community.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

The best place to start is the Operations Guide that comes with Edge.

Stephen

@sgilson ,Spot on.. @P.Ganesan You can also implement best practices of softwares that you install part of onPrem software like Cassandra or Postgres. You are free to follow & implement best practices that you follow with Cassandra / Postgres . Operations guide help you do that.

@Anil Sagar @sgilson Thanks for your speedy response. Definitely I'll refer the Operation Guides for OPDK components. My query is about Best Practices in API Management and implementing API Proxies in apigee on-prem Edge. Would like to know the details like....number of requests at a time, Request and Response message Payload Maximum Size and other important stats...

Thanks!

Hi @P.Ganesan unfortunately I do not think there is one comprehensive best practice book.

However a few best practices will be as follows:

1. If you are trying to do a POC 1 node aio install should suffice

2. For doing a production deployment of Apigee you should do a minimum 5 node setup (various setup options are available in the on-prem guide)

3. if you have 4 core licenses of EDGE it should be able to take anywhere between few hundreds to a thousand transactions per second. The exact number you can find out only by doing a performance testing on the setup , because of the tps varies because of the following :

a. Average payload size of request response

b. latency between Apigee and backend

c. Latency of the backend

d. Policies implemented inside Apigee. ANy policy which do not deal with payloads is very fast (1-2 ms) , like API key validation policy etc. But if you want to do xslt on the payload or use a custom java code to encrypt the payload then the latency will be higher.

e. Particular EDGE setup. A 5 node setup is the minimum setup for production HA but is not the most optimum. Depending on your requirements for uptime SLA,use cases for Apigee, throughput desired the deployment might be configured to be more performant.

4. 8 core licenses will give you roughly 1.5x the throughput of 4 core license.

5. Apigee can handle very large loads (in hundreds of MBs etc.) , but for that large load try to use the streaming feature

6. Follow the operations guide that comes with the software and if you have specific questions ask on the community.

@sarthak Thank u very much. These are the kind of details I'm looking for...