It looks like I have two portals now - one on Edge and one on Pantheon - how does this work exactly?

anton
Participant V

One is connected via the Edge admin site, where I can add the API's, see analytics and *also* create a portal and manage it's contents and look and feel.

What I don't get is that I have yet another portal, with a completely different looking and feel which doesn't seem to be linked to the Edge admin site.

Which one is the one?

Thanks,

Anton.

Solved Solved
0 6 281
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anton+Bar ,

We have two kinds of developer portals,

• New Edge Portals
    • Very light weight
    • Launch from Edge Admin site
    • Limited features & functionality
    • At present, Mostly used by trial users
    • No Developer (User) Management
    • No RBAC
    • No CMS Functionality
  • Apigee Drupal Developer Portal
    • Developed on top of famous open source CMS Drupal
    • Feature rich content management
    • Revision Control
    • Custom Modules (Need Drupal Expertise)
    • User Management
    • RBAC
    • Smartdocs
    • Developer Attributes, User Attributes Support
    • Extend using 38,000+ Drupal Contributed modules, Yes, 38 Thousand !!
    • 99% of Apigee customers developer portals are based on Apigee Drupal Developer portal
    • Talks to Apigee Edge, When you create products in Apigee Edge, It does display them in Add App screen, Make sure you flush caches if you don't see them Or change the cache settings in Top Admin Menu -> Configuration -> Dev Portal -> App Settings.
    • Find extensive documentation here
    • Hosted on Pantheon, Drupal specialized hosting with many features like Dev, Test, Prod instances of portal, Automated Backups
    • You should have also received access to pantheon dashboard where you can see the developer portal codebase, take backups, configure domain names etc.

To find out how to more about Drupal based Apigee Developer Portal, Check documentation here. Use side navigation menu to go through different section in docs.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted if any.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

anton
Participant V

here's the Pantheon one : http://dev-freightosdp.devportal.apigee.io/

here's the one that is available on Edge admin : https://freightos-developerportal.apigee.io/index

they don't seem to be connected at all, and it's not clear how to manage the APIs available on the Pantheon portal.

@Anton+Bar ,

We have two kinds of developer portals,

• New Edge Portals
    • Very light weight
    • Launch from Edge Admin site
    • Limited features & functionality
    • At present, Mostly used by trial users
    • No Developer (User) Management
    • No RBAC
    • No CMS Functionality
  • Apigee Drupal Developer Portal
    • Developed on top of famous open source CMS Drupal
    • Feature rich content management
    • Revision Control
    • Custom Modules (Need Drupal Expertise)
    • User Management
    • RBAC
    • Smartdocs
    • Developer Attributes, User Attributes Support
    • Extend using 38,000+ Drupal Contributed modules, Yes, 38 Thousand !!
    • 99% of Apigee customers developer portals are based on Apigee Drupal Developer portal
    • Talks to Apigee Edge, When you create products in Apigee Edge, It does display them in Add App screen, Make sure you flush caches if you don't see them Or change the cache settings in Top Admin Menu -> Configuration -> Dev Portal -> App Settings.
    • Find extensive documentation here
    • Hosted on Pantheon, Drupal specialized hosting with many features like Dev, Test, Prod instances of portal, Automated Backups
    • You should have also received access to pantheon dashboard where you can see the developer portal codebase, take backups, configure domain names etc.

To find out how to more about Drupal based Apigee Developer Portal, Check documentation here. Use side navigation menu to go through different section in docs.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted if any.

So what do I use Edge site for?

You mean New Edge Portals ?

No, I wasn't clear. Is the following correct?

I will use two management interfaces

1. I will use Apigee Enterprise for management of APIs, API proxies, API call flows, policies, developer apps, their API keys, API usage analytics etc. This is going to be my main API management interface..

2. The Portal's look and feel + API docs I will manage in the Apigee Drupal dev portal. I will need this interface only to setup and occasionally update the portal interface.

It's just not clear how the functionality is divided between the two interfaces.

I also have the following questions:

1. Is my admin login the same in both Apigee Enterprise and Apigee Drupal dev portal? Same email and password? If changed in one, is synced to another automatically?

2. Same goes about the developers, those who sign up in the portal will be visible in the Apigee Enterprise, correct?

3. Do you have ready-to-use Dev Portal templates? I kinda liked the simplicity of https://freightos-developerportal.apigee.io/index, so would like to start with something like this, and continue to develop it after it goes live, agile style, so to speak...

Thanks in advance!

Regarding,

1. I will use Apigee Enterprise for management of APIs, API proxies, API call flows, policies, developer apps, their API keys, API usage analytics etc. This is going to be my main API management interface..

YES, That's correct.

2. The Portal's look and feel + API docs I will manage in the Apigee Drupal dev portal. I will need this interface only to setup and occasionally update the portal interface.

YES, That's correct.

1. Is my admin login the same in both Apigee Enterprise and Apigee Drupal dev portal? Same email and password? If changed in one, is synced to another automatically?

No, It's not. Apigee Edge Enterprise is for API Program Administrators ( Your Organisation). Drupal Portal is for Developers. So, Users who login in Apigee Edge Enterprise & Drupal Developer Portal are technically different.

Yes, For Admins it makes sense to have an SSO. We had an SSO module that enabled portal admins to login using edge credentials. With recent changes to Apigee SSO, It's currently not working. I have just verified same.

2. Same goes about the developers, those who sign up in the portal will be visible in the Apigee Enterprise, correct?

Yes, That's absolutely correct. Any one registered in Apigee Drupal Developer Portal automatically shows up in Apigee Edge Enterprise under Developer section. Same goes for Apps, We don't store any apps info in Developer Portal. When developer creates app in Apigee Drupal Developer Portal, Drupal Developer Portal makes API call to Apigee Edge using Management APIs & Creates app there. App created in Apigee Enterprise is displayed in portal via same Management APIs. Apigee Drupal Portal is connected Apigee Edge Enterprise your org.

You can see connection settings in "admin/config/devconnect" page in Drupal Developer Portal as Portal Administrator.

3. Do you have ready-to-use Dev Portal templates? I kinda liked the simplicity of https://freightos-developerportal.apigee.io/index, so would like to start with something like this, and continue to develop it after it goes live, agile style, so to speak...

Many expressed same. We don't have out of the box. It should be quick to build like one using Drupal Theme System & Sub theme concept of Apigee. This article here should definitely help. I will try to do one definitely some time this month. But, I can't commit any ETA.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted moving forward if any.