Seeking Guidance on Capturing Granular 50x Errors Using Apigee's Shared Flow and Fault Rules

Dear Apigee Community Members,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to seek your expertise and guidance regarding a challenge I am currently facing.

I am encountering several network-related issues with my backend services that result in different 50x errors. These issues include routing problems, TCP connection issues, true timeouts, and TLS issues.

1. Backend Service Unreachable: Sometimes, due to errors in the routing table, requests cannot be sent to the backend, making the service completely unavailable. I am interested in identifying this issue with a specific error code for quick recognition when it occurs.
  2. TCP Connection Issues: At times, network devices such as NAT routers close the TCP connection during data transmission. This results in the establishment of a TCP connection, but it gets closed before an HTTP response is received. I want to be able to identify this as the cause when a 503 error code is sent.
  3. True Timeouts: I want to differentiate between genuine timeouts and the aforementioned network issues. In logs, these issues might all appear as timeouts but could be due to other causes.
  4. TLS Issues: There can be situations where the certificate becomes invalid, or the parties involved cannot negotiate acceptable TLS conditions, preventing the establishment of an encrypted session. I'd like to identify this situation with a specific error code.

In summary, I am keen on distinguishing these different network issues with various error codes for quick problem identification and resolution.

I am considering using Apigee's Shared Flow and Fault Rules to capture these granular 50x errors. However, I am unsure about how to go about it. Could anyone provide guidance or share their experiences in dealing with similar issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fault code reference  |  Apigee Edge  |  Apigee Docs

500 Internal Server Error - Backend Server  |  Apigee Edge  |  Apigee Docs

2 0 45
0 REPLIES 0