apigee modify time format generated in the token (generate token policy)

how can i modify  the format of the date in expiresin claim in generatetoken policy 

for example 

<ExpiresIn>2m</ExpiresIn> 

this claim genrates a datetime in seconds inside the token: 
like this: 

and i would like to have it in the token in ms format like this:

i need to do this cause the backend dosen't accepts expiresin vars in seconds and so i am getting error claim, how can i change the format in policy (genrate token) if possible ? if not what solutions do you suggests pls ?

Solved Solved
0 1 113
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

> in generatetoken policy

what specific policy are you referring to? If you are referring to the GenerateJWT policy, and specifically the exp claim within the generated token, that policy generates a JWT. The JWT spec describes the format of the exp claim, stating that it is a number, which expresses the seconds-since-epoch for expiry. There’s no way to get the GenerateJWT policy to emit a value for exp and expressed as a milliseconds quantity.

Any system that validates a JWT MUST treat the exp claim as a seconds quantity. in light of that, in my opinion the only reason to want to do such a thing - to generate a misformatted JWT in the way you describe -  is to subvert security. So I guess if you’re a  hacker or a red team member , you would have a reason to try to do this. But you will not want to do this if you are simply solving a business problem. 

which one are you? Hacker or red team?

> the backend dosen't accepts expiresin vars in seconds and

I suggest you fix that backend system! It’s wrong. 

good luck, I guess. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

> in generatetoken policy

what specific policy are you referring to? If you are referring to the GenerateJWT policy, and specifically the exp claim within the generated token, that policy generates a JWT. The JWT spec describes the format of the exp claim, stating that it is a number, which expresses the seconds-since-epoch for expiry. There’s no way to get the GenerateJWT policy to emit a value for exp and expressed as a milliseconds quantity.

Any system that validates a JWT MUST treat the exp claim as a seconds quantity. in light of that, in my opinion the only reason to want to do such a thing - to generate a misformatted JWT in the way you describe -  is to subvert security. So I guess if you’re a  hacker or a red team member , you would have a reason to try to do this. But you will not want to do this if you are simply solving a business problem. 

which one are you? Hacker or red team?

> the backend dosen't accepts expiresin vars in seconds and

I suggest you fix that backend system! It’s wrong. 

good luck, I guess.