Seeking solutions for AppSheet spp usage issues

Hello AppSheet community,

I am seeking solutions for two issues that I hope to address. I am building apps using AppSheet to support my work. The apps are shared and installed on desktop computers, iPads, and smartphones. My two issues are:

1. Users are automatically logged out after a period of time on their devices. Is there a way to prevent automatic logout? (Due to security reasons, we do not share account information with users)

2. Since users log in on mobile devices (iPads, smartphones), employees may take them outside the company premises. Is there a way to limit the app to run only when connected to the company network?

I hope to receive support from the community,

Thank you!

0 10 140
10 REPLIES 10

1 = This has been a problem with apple devices for about 6 years.  Its caused by apple clearing the data cache on the Appsheet App.  Mostly its deleting this data because it thinks the device has not enough storage.  So try getting your free storage to over 40% ish.

2 = Not for network, no. But you could use Here() and Distance() in a slice such that the slice only shows data if they are with X metres of a particular LatLong location.  Which will tie them to a certain site.  Note that if they disable GPS on the device, sometimes Here() will return NULL and sometimes 0,0 LatLong.

https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/10107405?hl=en&sjid=139387790532715267-EU

https://support.google.com/appsheet/answer/11587699?sjid=139387790532715267-EU

Very good @Simon_Robinson creativity is all we need to solve problems.

@T_I_Phong For the second problem I recommed you use TIMENOW() as a condition. This way you can set the app to work only in the working hours. I recommend you extend this 1 hour later, or something like this, so the user can still have access if necessary or if he's in the company. 

Maybe you could use both solutions, this one for the smartphone and use the location for the desktop, because the desktops will always have access to the location due to IP address.

AND(
WEEKDAY(TODAY()) >1, WEEKDAY(TODAY()) <7,
TIMENOW() > "07:00:00", TIMENOW() < "18:00:00"
)

Hi @peterson ,

@peterson wrote:

I recommed you use TIMENOW() as a condition

By default AppSheet uses time of the device of each user. So if a user has set some different time in her/his device, the time based condition will not work. The alternative is to use server time by running the bots but then the device will need to be online and there may be delays till the bot fires from the instant the user has initiated a change. 

The post below discusses in detail the various aspects of time capture in an app. The post is contributed by various AppSheet community experts.

Prevent timestamp manipulation? - Google Cloud Community

Yes, but the user doesn't need to know this. 

Hi @peterson ,

I believe leaving it to user's discretion may not be a best practice. I request you to read the shared post in detail for various possible scenarios.

The same way, the HERE() could be fooled by a change location app or some VPN

Yes, you are correct, that is also possible. But time is much more frequently used / easily set parameter in any device.

Not sure this would work in practice.  I have seen phones put in weird locations hundreds of metres away from where the phone actually is.  This was caused by the phone estimating its location via the IP address location.  Even if you used a VPN you don't have very accurate control over where it thinks you are.  So here() should work fine for distances of up to 200m.

Hi @Simon_Robinson , @peterson , @Suvrutt_Gurjar 

Thank you for your help. Your insightful ideas have provided me with additional action options for my issue. I will try to implement the suggestions provided and will return to this topic to provide feedback on the results.

Top Labels in this Space