Access token expiration time

How can I have longer expiration times for the google cloud APIs or avoid re-authenticating every day or so. It's very frustrating and I would like to find a solution. I'm using multiple google cloud APIs such as analytics, tag manager, my business. All oauth2 authenticated.

Solved Solved
1 4 37.6K
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

To extend the expiration time of your Google Cloud APIs' authentication tokens or avoid re-authenticating every day, you can follow these steps:

1. Use a Service Account: Instead of using your own user account to authenticate, create a service account for your application to access the APIs. Service accounts are specifically designed for server-to-server interactions and don't require frequent re-authentication.

2. Use Refresh Tokens: When you authenticate with OAuth2, you can request a refresh token in addition to an access token. The refresh token can be used to obtain a new access token when the current one expires, which can extend the expiration time of your authentication.

3. Set a Longer Expiration Time: By default, Google Cloud API tokens expire after 1 hour. However, you can request a longer expiration time of up to 12 hours by specifying the "expires_in" parameter when you authenticate.

4. Use Google's Client Libraries: Google's official client libraries (such as the Google Cloud Client Libraries) handle authentication and token refreshing automatically, which can simplify the authentication process and prevent frequent re-authentication.

5. Use Persistent Storage: To avoid re-authenticating every time your application runs, you can store the access and refresh tokens in a persistent storage such as a database or file system. When your application starts, it can read the tokens from storage and use them to authenticate.

I hope these suggestions help you to extend the expiration time of your Google Cloud APIs' authentication tokens or avoid re-authenticating every day.

If you need more help than you can contact me on Kiask.xyz.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

To extend the expiration time of your Google Cloud APIs' authentication tokens or avoid re-authenticating every day, you can follow these steps:

1. Use a Service Account: Instead of using your own user account to authenticate, create a service account for your application to access the APIs. Service accounts are specifically designed for server-to-server interactions and don't require frequent re-authentication.

2. Use Refresh Tokens: When you authenticate with OAuth2, you can request a refresh token in addition to an access token. The refresh token can be used to obtain a new access token when the current one expires, which can extend the expiration time of your authentication.

3. Set a Longer Expiration Time: By default, Google Cloud API tokens expire after 1 hour. However, you can request a longer expiration time of up to 12 hours by specifying the "expires_in" parameter when you authenticate.

4. Use Google's Client Libraries: Google's official client libraries (such as the Google Cloud Client Libraries) handle authentication and token refreshing automatically, which can simplify the authentication process and prevent frequent re-authentication.

5. Use Persistent Storage: To avoid re-authenticating every time your application runs, you can store the access and refresh tokens in a persistent storage such as a database or file system. When your application starts, it can read the tokens from storage and use them to authenticate.

I hope these suggestions help you to extend the expiration time of your Google Cloud APIs' authentication tokens or avoid re-authenticating every day.

If you need more help than you can contact me on Kiask.xyz.

Ok

How do I set the less expiration time using PHP

How can we set expire_in time for edge management access token API?

Top Labels in this Space