Drag and drop to upload folder doesn't seem to work any more

Hi there,

I used to be able to drag and drop a folder full of data from Windows 10 Explorer to GCS in a Chrome window, and GCS would recreate the folder structure and plonk all the files in the right places (I know it doesn't actually work like this, but that's how it used to appear).

If I try to do that now, GCS says "0 files successfully uploaded" and the "UploadsandColdStorageOperations" box just has the spinning blue circle and nothing happens.

If I use the Upload Folder link from within GCS in my Chrome browser, it will upload the folder quite happily but it no longer preserves the structure within the folder; all the files end up just floating around loose in the newly created GCS folder.

Any ideas very gratefully received!

0 4 439
4 REPLIES 4

Since today I'm also not able to upload the Folder structure I try to upload. It just upload all the files that are in those directories but without any folder structure

The reason is due to the nature of Google Cloud Storage. It doesn't work as a Filesystem but as a Blob Storage (Object Storage), so you can create only relative links to the resource (that seems like object inside folders), but you cannot upload directly folders and expect their structure. If you want to use it in a filesystem way, you can try GCS Fuse (mounting GCS to you PC):

https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/gcs-fuse

https://github.com/weswu8/gcsfuse-win

Hi Max,

Thanks very much for your explanation and those links. I'll investigate GCS Fuse to see if that helps matters. 

I'm still curious why this change in behaviour seems to have happened recently though -- I've used GCS for archive storage for about three years, and I've always been able to upload folders with their subfolder structure preserved (or at least presented that way to me, even if GCS doesn't actually store them that way). Do you know if this new behaviour is something that's changed recently, and if so, are individual users able to change it back? 

Hi again!

Something has definitely changed in the way GCS stores my folders and it could well be something I've done, but I just don't know! Is there anything from Google to say they've changed how GCS uploads folders in the last six months or so? If there is, I know not to continue trying to find a solution at my end!

Thanks for any further help you can offer,
Jodi.

Top Labels in this Space