Folder Upload to Google Cloud Platform fails folder structure

Hi. I am not a technical guy, but I have learned to use GCP Cloud Storage for my Adobe Captivate projects. What I did - when Adobe Captivate published the e-learning project, it creates a folder with subfolders and 100+ files together distributed among subfolders. In order to embed this e-learning project on my Wix site, I just uploaded the whole folder GCP Cloud Storage and took the index file from it and everything worked excellent until yesterday when folder upload process broke the folder structure - that is, it  uploaded only bunch of files with no subfolders anymore.. is that some technical failure that will be fixed or something changed in settings? It was all working at 9pm (Central Europe Time) and at 10pm the issue started to happen.. Thank You!!

10 23 1,074
23 REPLIES 23

Hi @JR15,

Google Cloud Storage (GCS) is a cloud-based object storage service that allows you to store and retrieve data from anywhere on the web but it doesn't works as a filesystem, so it's not possibile to have real folders like in Linux or Windows. You can have only some relative link to the object, but in a virtual way. Can I ask you how you proceeded to upload your files?

I'm having the same issue, only with my Articulate Storyline file packages. Previously, I could: 1) Create a bucket, 2) Make it public, 3) Upload the folder, 4) Copy the URL from the index.html file, then 5) Share the link.

I've done this a hundred times. Today it stopped working. Where it used to upload the folder and structure the objects in the bucket identically to that of the folder, now it just stacks the 300+ files next to each other. The index.html won't work, because it needs to call to the other files based on their structuring. 

MaxImbrox, I know you want to help, but this is not something I'm trying for the first time. Like I said, I've followed these steps hundreds of times. Before, my bucket uploads were automatically organized, now they are not. Identical process, different outcome. 

Does anyone know what has changed? 

Yes, thanks for explaining the issue, maybe better than me!! Fingers crossed that there will be a solution!! 

This looks like the same issue I am having. Simply put, after archiving the same way for TB's of data, I am suddenly unable to use the 'Upload Folder' feature. 

Before, using the 'Upload Folder' feature would create a new folder and maintain all the subfolders of a project. Suddenly this week, "Upload Folder' starts uploading each individual file within the folder system. 

This very much seems like a product issue. Please help.

Hello, same issues, please did you find solution?

Same issues here, still finding solution...

Hey all, I've found a temporary workaround, at least for the other Instructional Designers looking to host an e-learning course. I was able to use the Cyberduck FTP client to upload a folder into a Google Cloud bucket. Here are Cyberduck's instructions.

After transferring the Storyline folder, I went into the bucket from the Google Cloud side, grabbed the URL for the story.html file, and was able to take my e-learning course via that URL as usual. Once I got it set up, it was actually a little bit easier than doing this directly through Google Cloud!

This worked like a charm! Appreciate it! And you are right. It is kind of easier...

Excellent! Happy to help!

I am having the EXACT same issue. I have always been able to upload a folder and the files stay in their own specific folders. I tried to do this today and got 245 individual files and the story.html file link would "play" the whole course. Now, as you describe, this does not work!

Same here.... Please change back to how it used to work. Upload folders and keep underlying folder structure. 

Same problem. Does Google monitor or reply on this forum? We will leave Google Cloud if we can't get it working. 

Getting exactly the same issue with storyline content I need to post for our instructional designers.

The cyberduck solution worked as specified.

Google seems to have fixed this. I have verified with numerous uploads.

Same issue here. I tried replicating the file format based on the ones that I have done in the past and that still didn't work. Hopefully we have an update soon! 

Hi All,

I'll add one more thing to this thread. I made a video today that covers getting an Articulate Storyline or Adobe Captivate e-learning course into a Google Cloud bucket using an FTP client. As mentioned before, this process gets around the current issue with Google Cloud. Also, as ID's, it's a good back-up tool to keep in your back pocket. Here it is:

Use an FTP to Add Files and Folders to Google Cloud

Best,

Luis

LearningToro.com

I am actually going to be using the FTP client process as my default. A lot cleaner than using the GUI on my side. Thanks for this how to!

Also been having the same issue. 

Hi All, Google has been fixed this issues 👍

I just tried it and sadly, it didn't upload the folder structure as it used to. So, for me at least, the issue remains the same.

JuliaCP_0-1713816551153.png

Yes, I can confirm it does appear to be working now again for our courses as well. 

Confirmed on my side as well

Top Labels in this Space