Issue to run CentOS on a Google Compute Engine instance

Hey all,

I'm currently trying to run CentOS on a Google Compute Engine instance on my gaming laptop [https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/d/gaming-laptops/], but I've been running into some issues.

Specifically, when I try to launch the instance, I get an error message saying "Failed to start the instance. Failed to start the instance 'instance-1'. Error: Insufficient permission to access the device."

I've double-checked my permissions and I'm fairly certain I have the correct access level, but I'm not entirely sure. Has anyone else had experience running CentOS on a Google Compute Engine instance on their gaming laptop? If so, how did you set it up and were there any particular issues you had to deal with?

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 3 161
3 REPLIES 3

Hello,

it should not matter if you do this on a gaming laptop or on a Chromebook, ultimately you are trying to launch the VM via cloud.google.com /compute engine, right?

You are now trying to start this vm, but did you also create it yourself?

Greetings, j.

If we could hear/see the exact commands you are using and the exact results, that would likely be useful.  When we see an error related to permissions, it usually falls to the notion that you are authenticated to Google Cloud as a user that has insufficient authority to perform a task.  Within Google Cloud there is a subsystem called "IAM" (Identity and Authorization Management).  We would want to look at which permissions/roles you posses and contrast that against the task you wish to perform (eg. start a compute engine).  We will likely find that there is a role/permission that is required to start the instance that you don't posses.  The next step is to find the "Owner" of the Google Cloud Project that you are working in.  They will be able to grant additional roles/permissions to your Google Cloud Identity to permit a successful outcome.

Don't hesitate to post back here with any questions ... we are delighted to try and help.

Hello @judywatson,

Welcome to Google Cloud Community!

Seems like you only have read access to your Compute Engine resources. In order to start and stop instances, you must have roles/compute.admin role or compute.instances.start and compute.instances.stop permissions.

If you already have this role, you might want to post the exact permission/role that the error is looking  for and please also post the document that you are following.

Thanks