Is there a slack or discord server?

Hi

Is there a public slack or discord server where people could jump in and ask questions about google cloud  / gcp?    

I see that there is (or used to be googlecloud-community.slack.com) but at the moment its limited to people with @Google.com emails... what is that - like internal slack channel for google employees? 

is there a public one?   

Solved Solved
3 20 5,249
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michelle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @makaronni,

Please check out our Cloud Forums, you will find forums to ask questions about Google Cloud.  

Thank you for joining the community.

Regards,

Michelle | Community Manager

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

I pulled this link from the Slack app in the Google Cloud Platform Community workspace:

https://join.slack.com/t/googlecloud-community/shared_invite/zt-1czezyjlf-e33_CD2tWECRY5pecjVpTA

Michelle
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @makaronni,

Please check out our Cloud Forums, you will find forums to ask questions about Google Cloud.  

Thank you for joining the community.

Regards,

Michelle | Community Manager

This is not ideal.  Is the slack network getting phased out?  Why the the change to requiring a google.com email?

I had an account before, but I, as I'm now discovering, made the mistake of registering with my previous employers email account.  After I left that job I went back to register with my personal Gmail, only to discover the google.com email requirement.

I am dissatisfied.

The quality of the Slack community responses is higher IMO as well.

It's a problem with Slack. They're putting up all kinds of walls.  Not sure when this happened exactly but my account remains in some public channels I've been in for a while but have run in to this invite issue with every link that's supposed to join a slack channel when clicked on in the last month or so at least.

The slack 'team' space is active and helpful. Much closer to an IRC experience than a forum. If you navigate to
https://cloud.google.com/developers and scroll down until you see a slack icon (rollovers reveal what they are), you can join using that.
Currently, the link is
https://join.slack.com/t/googlecloud-community/shared_invite/zt-ywj8ieuc-BrAaHC~qe5IgelXS9vzNRA?utm_...

This sadly still requires a google.com email.

The use of Google Cloud requires a google account, doesn't it? Can't imagine doing any work in the cloud infrastructure without one. All the cli tools require some google authentication and authorization based on the principle email, for example. And the console presumes the use of a google account.

google account != mail account "@google.com"

I sign in here with a google account but the slack requires a mail with "@google.com". That is something completely different...

I don't have an @Google.com account but I am signed into the Google Cloud Community slack. The account I am using is a Google Workspace account.

I have to echo the same ask here. My org leverages gsuite and my questions are around gsuite and I heard the same that the slack channel is very helpful. But I cannot join cause i don't have @Google account. I've checked forums for what I'm looking for and the answer isn't there. 

LOL this is so ridiculous. Is it real? I can't join slack either.
GCP documentation is terrible, open source libraries are not managed, forum is not active, and now the slack channel that is supposed to be open is shut. WOW!

I there any update on the topic of slack channel? Unfortunately I also can't login there. Does somebody has an invite link or smth?

On March 9th  of 2023 I posted above with info about an invite link

Yes, I tried it, but unfortunately it says that I need to have an email ending with @Google.com, which I don't know how to get...

I joined with that link and I don't have an email ending with google.com
It is sufficient to have an email that is a Google Workspace email, like gmail.com or another domain linked to Workspace

Hi All,

You should be able to join to mentioned Slack, by using DOMAIN ACCOUNT, not @gmail.com . So if you have Google Workspace, and email like damian@my_company.com, you should use this account and should be able to join. AFAIR you will not be able to join Slack with damian@gmail.com email account.

cheers,
DamianS

@DamianS are you sure? just tried all the slack links above, and still complains about domain name not available. which slack link worked out for you?

Yup, that's the correct address.

There's also a short url which resolves to the long URL you posted.

https://tinyurl.com/invitegcpslack