Google Data Catalog issue with permissions(Maybe a bug in GCP?)

I am using the Data Catalog and I need be enable to change the resource entry overview, like this overview in bellow:

gabrielciandt_0-1657297525163.png

I have created a role in IAM to allow people from the business field in my company to put tags and also update the overview of a GCP resource, but the overview can't be edited, when I try to edit this overview this message is showed:

gabrielciandt_2-1657297880586.png

This permission "datacatlog.entries.updateOverview" doesn't exist in the IAM, I have tried to add this permission to a specific role and I haven't found there, further, I also have tried to add all the datacatalog permissions to a role and even giving all datacatalog permissions wasn't possible to edit the resource overview. I am thinking about maybe this could be a bug in GCP, but honestly I don't know. Someone can help me? Thank you!

0 2 331
2 REPLIES 2

I have confirmed that this permission exists and can be assigned to a role in IAM, what I noticed is that you missed an "a" in the datacatalog word, here is an example of a custom role created with that permission:

gcloud iam roles create datacatalog_role \
    --project <your_project_id> \
    --title "Data Catalog Entries Update" \
    --description "This role has only the datacatalog.entries.updateOverview permission" \
    --permissions datacatalog.entries.updateOverview

And here is the output:

Created role [datacatalog_role].
description: This role has only the datacatalog.entries.updateOverview permission
etag: xxxxxxx
includedPermissions:
- datacatalog.entries.updateOverview
name: projects/foo-project123/roles/datacatalog_role
stage: ALPHA
title: Data Catalog Entries Update

Thank you by your answer!

I don't know the cause, but doing this action, to add the permission "datacatalog.entries.updateOverview" using the GCP GUI is showed nothing when is tried to search this permission to attach to a role.

Even trying to add this permission "datacatalog.entries.updateOverview" typing and pressing enter, the resultant role doesn't have this permission.