Location error on BigQuery

I've been using BQ fine for months, but today I tried to save the table from a SQL query in one of my existing projects and this error is coming up :

'To copy a table, the destination and source datasets must be in the same region. Copy an entire dataset to move data between regions.'

I've checked, and the query is running in the same location as the source tables (in the query) and the destination project as well. I haven't changed anything since last week, when this was working fine, and nothing across my BQ is in a different location to this one. Any idea what the error is? Is it just a bug that'll go away, or something underlying that changed?

Also if I try and upload any new tables (from CSV) I get an error message with tracking number c8273666614742995. Sometimes this error will come up but the table will still upload.

3 9 6,039
9 REPLIES 9

me too

me too ... very annoying

Merrek

Me too. Everything is in the same region. Unbelievable. I can't finish what I started because of a trivial BigQuery bug.

Why don't you use "CREATE TABLE AS <query>" as workaround?

I'm also facing this error. As a workaround, I'm using "CREATE TABLE <my_table> AS <query>" statement.

That's really useful thanks a lot! Any chance you have a workaround for uploading new tables from upload?

No, but I think it's just a bug that'll be fixed quickly.

Same problem here. Data set location and query location set to the same region. Doesn't matter if that region is EU/multi or US/multi, just tested that.

Definitely seems like a bug on Google's end that has been introduced at some point this week.

CREATE TABLE `my_dataset.my_table` AS SELECT ....

This workaround works fine.