Proposed Enhancements for Dataform: Maximizing Utility & Streamlining User Experience

Dear Google Cloud Community,

As part of my recent deep dive into Dataform, I sought to understand how it could uplift our data-driven team members and refine their day-to-day data operations. I must say, I'm genuinely enthralled by its capabilities. But as with any robust tool, there's always room for growth. Below, I've outlined a series of enhancements that could potentially elevate the Dataform experience:

1. Simplified GitHub Integration: The need for a Personal Access Token or SSH key to synchronize with GitHub makes the process a tad convoluted. A more streamlined approach would be welcome.
  2. Unit Test Improvements:
    • Introduce dataform test functionality directly in the UI, ensuring parity with the CLI.
    • Ensure the compatibility of unit tests with incremental updates.
  3. Documentation Consistency: I've noticed exclusive content on Dataform's main website. Bridging this gap by integrating such resources into Google's documentation would greatly aid accessibility.
  4. UI Multi-tab Support: The ability to concurrently open multiple SQLX files, along with the freedom to toggle or split views, can make for a more fluid navigation experience.
  5. Error Mapping in SQLX: Pinpointing errors would be more efficient if they directly matched the corresponding lines in SQLX files.
  6. Workflow Enhancements: Streamlining the transition from source table to source table test and then to subsequent tables, akin to solutions like DBT, would be beneficial.
  7. User-friendly Access Control: Rethinking the current access control, especially concerning incremental updates, to be more intuitive would be a step in the right direction.
  8. Versatile Source Declarations: A provision to declare multiple external sources within a singular SQLX file would add another layer of flexibility.
  9. Expanding Compiled Graph Accessibility: Beyond the development workspace, visualizing the COMPILED GRAPH on the default branch would be a valued addition.
  10. Tag Utility for Data Sources: Incorporating tags for data source declarations and ensuring their accurate rendering in the Compiled Graph would heighten clarity.
  11. Search Capabilities: Implementing search functions, much like on GitHub, would be a game-changer.
  12. Enhanced GitHub Synchronization: Augmenting this aspect, especially around rebases and conflict resolution, would offer a smoother experience, particularly for those on the learning curve.

Your acknowledgment of these suggestions would be appreciated. If there are existing workarounds to any of these points that I may have overlooked, kindly enlighten me.

I firmly believe that by focusing on these facets, we can unleash the full potential of Dataform, catering to an even wider user base.

Warm regards, 
Yong-Jin Lee

6 2 2,001
2 REPLIES 2

For more details, I wrote a separate post here on Medium.

Thanks for taking the time and effort. The more attention the product gets the better it will become. The GCP version of Dataform has potential but needs a community to build around.