๐Ÿ”œ The Looker Community is joining the Google Cloud Community

Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

๐Ÿ‘‹ Data Analytics community,

Iโ€™m Roderick, Community Manager on the Google Cloud Community team along with AndrewWillieLauren, and Shane. You may have seen me contributing and hanging out here in the last couple of months. 

We believe that a strong community is essential for your success and ours and we want to ensure we provide you with the support, content, and place to allow you to connect and learn from each other.

To do this, weโ€™ll be moving the Looker Community to the Google Cloud Community (GCC) on May 22nd, 2023. 

Moving to the GCC ensures long-term durability and sustainability of this community and its programs. This iteration will also allow us to manage and moderate the community more efficiently, which will enable us to offer more updates from the product team and more community events to learn and share best practices from Looker experts.

Our goal is to ensure the new community site is clean, organized, and moderated. 

Whatโ€™s changing: the legacy Looker Community's content and URL will be moving to the GCC platform beginning May 22, 2023.

Whatโ€™s not changing: The Looker Community will continue to function as its own sub-community with a dedicated space, forums, and events. Additionally, all of your post content and profile will be migrated. 

What should you do: Nothing at all! We know that many of you have both Looker Community & Google Cloud Community accounts. We'll take care of migrating and merging accounts, so there's nothing to do on your end. 

I look forward to connecting with more of you throughout this migration to get your feedback on your new Looker Community!

Weโ€™ll continue to share more information in the coming weeks, including detailed FAQs, so make sure to check back for more announcements.

Chat soon,

5 REPLIES 5

Willie_Turney
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looking forward to having the Looker Community under the GCC umbrella! ๐Ÿ‘

@Roderick wrote:

Whatโ€™s changing: this siteโ€™s content and URL will be moving to the GCC platform beginning May 22, 2023.

I'm reading this on googlecloudcommunity.com so "this site" doesn't make sense to me.  Am I correct in assuming that those of us already participating via "Google Cloud Community" will be unaffected?

By the way, please look at this banner that appeared today:

Coming Soon! The Looker Community will be migrating to the Google Cloud Community. During the migration, this site will be in read only mode from 20 May 12am PST - 20 May 7pm PST.

Here I assume that "this site" means "googlecloudcommunity.com". Is that right?

Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Kirk_Masden - we appreciate your feedback on the migration messaging (and made some updates to ensure it's more clear!) Both the Google Cloud Community (this site) and the legacy community.looker.com sites were available, but read-only for a brief period over this past weekend while we migrated some databases. 

While members could search and view content, commenting, liking or adding to threads was limited. We warned users that the site might be unavailable for a longer period of time than it actually was, however the work was completed ahead of schedule.

Hopefully it wasn't too much of a bother, but everything should be up and running! 

Let us know if the team can help further,

Thanks!  As I mentioned in another thread, part of the reason I was confused was that I wasn't familiar with Looker.

ahh, that makes sense! Looker helps business drive better outcomes through smarter data-driven experiences. We hope that by integrating this community into GCC, that more Google Cloud Data Analytics professionals will discover how Looker to meet their needs.

Thanks for being here!