Connect to Cloud Spanner Database

I tried to search for information to this but i havent found it.

As i have only limited experience to "more classic" databases, i am wondering how i can connect to a cloud spanner database.

Usually i would use hostname + port as the target and authentificate with username + pw.

Now when i am in my google cloud workspace i cant find a hostname for my google cloud spanner database.

Is there any possibility to make "classic" postgresql connections to the database or am i limited to connect via the google cloudspanner api to it?

0 3 1,478
3 REPLIES 3

To connect to a Cloud Spanner database, you'll primarily use the Cloud Spanner API, as Cloud Spanner does not provide a traditional hostname and port for direct database connections. Instead, connections to Cloud Spanner are managed through Google Cloud's IAM (Identity and Access Management) system, using service accounts or OAuth tokens for authentication.

While Cloud Spanner supports SQL for querying, it's important to note that it does not offer a PostgreSQL-compatible endpoint. Cloud Spanner is a highly scalable, distributed SQL database service designed for mission-critical, global applications, and it operates differently from traditional relational databases.

However, for those who prefer a graphical database management tool, DBeaver can be used to connect to and interact with Cloud Spanner. DBeaver is a popular universal database tool that supports Cloud Spanner among many other databases. For more information on using DBeaver with Cloud Spanner, you can refer to this Google Cloud blog post.

Here are the revised steps for connecting to a Cloud Spanner database using its API and DBeaver:

1. Set Up Google Cloud Project: Create a Google Cloud project and enable the Cloud Spanner API within it.

2. Install Cloud Spanner Client Library: For programmatic access, choose and install the appropriate Cloud Spanner client library for your programming language (e.g., Python, Java, Go, Node.js). These libraries facilitate interaction with the Cloud Spanner API.

3. Service Account and Authentication: Create a service account in your Google Cloud project and download its JSON key file. This file will be used to authenticate your application with Cloud Spanner or to configure DBeaver for Cloud Spanner access.

4. Create Cloud Spanner Instance and Database: In your Google Cloud project, set up a Cloud Spanner instance and create a database within it.

5. Establish Connection Using Client Library or DBeaver:

• For programmatic access, utilize the Cloud Spanner client library in your application to establish a connection to your database. This involves specifying the instance ID, database ID, and providing the path to your service account's JSON key file.
    • For DBeaver, configure the connection by selecting Google Cloud Spanner as the database type and providing the necessary details, including the path to the service account's JSON key file.
  6. Execute SQL Queries: Once connected, either programmatically or via DBeaver, you can interact with your Cloud Spanner database using standard SQL queries, with some adjustments for Cloud Spanner's specific features and capabilities.

7. Managed Service Benefits: As a fully managed service, Cloud Spanner handles infrastructure management, scaling, and maintenance, allowing you to focus on application development.

8. Google Cloud Console for Management: For additional database management tasks, such as schema modifications or query execution, the Google Cloud Console can be used as a complementary tool.

I already connected the cloud spanner db to dbeaver.

Unfortunately some of our other systems require a "classical" connection to a mysql or postgresql database. So for our usecase this would be a showstopper for cloud spanner.

Do the cloud database services offer the classical database connections?

Google Cloud database services vary in their support for classical database connections. While it's true that some cloud databases are primarily accessed and managed through APIs and management consoles, this is not universally the case across all cloud database services.

Connecting to Cloud Databases: Balancing Classical Methods with Cloud-Native Solutions

Cloud database services have revolutionized data management, offering scalability, reliability, and cost-effectiveness that traditional on-premises databases cannot match. However, the question of classical database connections, such as hostname and port access, remains a consideration for many organizations.

Classical Connections in the Cloud: Cloud SQL as a Bridge

The Cloud SQL service stands out as a bridge between traditional database connections and the cloud. It supports MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQL Server, allowing users to connect using standard methods like hostname, port, and username/password authentication. This compatibility extends to familiar tools like psql for PostgreSQL and MySQL Workbench, making the transition to Cloud SQL seamless for many applications.

Spanner: Embracing API-Based Interactions

Spanner, is known for its global distribution and horizontal scalability, takes a different approach. Its architecture, designed for high-performance and mission-critical applications, relies on IAM for authentication and utilizes APIs for database interactions. While this may seem like a departure from traditional methods, it aligns with Spanner's unique architecture and offers the benefits of cloud-native security and scalability.

Hybrid Approaches and Workarounds: Adapting to Cloud-Specific APIs

For organizations that require classical database connections but want to explore cloud options, hybrid approaches and workarounds can provide flexibility. Proxy servers can translate classical connection requests into API calls to cloud databases, while database migration tools can convert MySQL or PostgreSQL schemas to cloud-compatible formats.

The Cloud Database Advantage: Weighing Benefits and Considerations

Cloud databases offer several advantages over traditional on-premises databases, including:

• Scalability: The ability to handle increasing data volumes and usage spikes without infrastructure bottlenecks.

• Reliability: High availability and fault tolerance, ensuring data integrity and accessibility even in the face of hardware or software failures.

• Cost-effectiveness: Pay-as-you-go models that align with actual usage patterns, reducing upfront investments and ongoing maintenance costs.

However, the choice between cloud and traditional databases requires careful consideration of specific requirements:

• Application Compatibility: Ensuring that existing applications can seamlessly interact with cloud databases or can be adapted without significant changes.

• Data Security and Privacy: Maintaining compliance with data privacy regulations and ensuring adequate security measures to protect sensitive information.

Cloud database services offer a compelling proposition for organizations seeking to modernize their data infrastructure. While some, like Spanner, require API-based interactions, others, like Cloud SQL, support traditional connection methods. The choice depends on the specific needs of the organization and its applications. Careful evaluation of requirements, compatibility, and security considerations will guide organizations towards the most suitable solution.