Could not allowlist client IP but last 3 months just fine...

I wrote a script 3 months ago to connect to mysql in GCP and it has been working solid for 3 months until this morning from a cafe I always go to for the last 3 weeks.  I received this error

ERROR: (gcloud.sql.connect) Could not allowlist client IP. Server did not reply with the allowlisted IP.

Has there been any permission changes or anything?  I just lost access to my production database 😞 😞 though it is a startup but it still is frustrating.  Any way to figure this out and get connected again?

If it helps, this is the full script that has been working for months

#!/bin/bash

gcloud auth login
gcloud config set project myproject-xxxxx

export PGSSLMODE=verify-ca
export PGSSLROOTCERT=server-ca.pem
export PGSSLCERT=client-cert.pem
export PGSSLKEY=client-key.pem

#This cmd is the same with other options too -> gcloud sql generate-login-token
gcloud auth application-default print-access-token > token.txt

gcloud sql connect spamfilter --database=spamfilter --user=spamfiltersvc --access-token-file=token.txt

gcloud sql uses psql under the covers so the variables above were for psql if I recall not gcloud sql command.

EDIT: I got home and tried here and it is not working here either 😞 😞 .  something changed on the google end but I have no idea how to fix this and connect to production database now :(. 

MORE INFO: Added my home's ip (which rotates I think 😞 ) to authorized and use psql directly and that works but the whitelisting piece completely broke 😞

Solved Solved
0 7 210
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

😥Well, seems like they fixed it.  it is working again!!!!!!!!  I changed nothing in the scripts at all!!!!  ouch, that sucked as it was down for a few days. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

The error "ERROR: (gcloud.sql.connect) Could not allowlist client IP. Server did not reply with the allowlisted IP" means Google Cloud SQL is failing to add your current IP address to its authorized networks temporarily. Here are some possible reasons:

• Dynamic IP Address: Cafes and many home internet connections use dynamic IPs, meaning your IP address might change regularly.
  • Recent Cloud SQL Updates: Configuration changes (security updates, etc.) might have affected the automated whitelisting process.
  • Temporary Network Issues: There could be transient problems with the network or the Cloud SQL service itself.

Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Check Your Current IP Address:

• Use https://whatismyipaddress.com/ or a similar service.
    • Important: Compare this with the IP ranges listed under "Authorized Networks" in your Cloud SQL instance settings.
  2. Manage Authorized Networks:

• If your IP is missing: In the Cloud Console (Cloud SQL instance -> Connections), add it.
    • Dynamic IP? Consider these options:
      • Broader Range: Authorize a wider IP range (consult your network admin if needed).
      • Static IP: Talk to your ISP about getting one (may have a cost).
      • VPN: Use a VPN to get a fixed IP for your connection.
      • Cloud SQL Proxy: The most robust solution; it establishes secure connections without exposing database IPs at all (https://cloud.google.com/sql/docs/mysql/sql-proxy).
  3. Verify gcloud and Script:

• Update: Run gcloud components update to ensure you have the latest version.
    • Double-Check Code: Make sure there are no recent errors in your script that might affect authentication or IP handling.
  4. Direct psql Test (If still failing):

• From the cafe: Try connecting via psql using the same database credentials but providing your cafe's IP explicitly. This isolates the gcloud sql connect command.
  5. Examine Logs:

• Check your Cloud SQL instance's logs for specific clues about why allowlisting is failing.

On number 3, yes I forgot to mention, I ran that update which unfortunately did not fix it.

I ran number #1 and #2 as a WORKAROUND with #4 which does work but is not ideal since my home ip changes and I have to keep removing and re-adding(very annoying).

#5 is interesting.  trying now...I see 2 links

View all operations and

View postgress error logs 

Neither of these yield any errors.

I have been using this script for months to connect and only recently in last 7 days it stopped working(I think 2-3 days ago).  Are there any logs on google side?  This is so weird that it just broke and I have no inisights into why?  A new permission is required for the user perhaps that was not needed before?  I am not sure what changed?

It seems like there might have been a change in the IP allowlist configuration on Google Cloud SQL's side. To fix it:

1. Check the IP allowlist settings in the Google Cloud Console.
  2. Update the allowlist to include your current IP address if needed.
  3. Ensure there are no network restrictions blocking the connection.
  4. Review recent changes to your project or networking setup.

I am confused.   the script has not changed in 6 months.  I had to use a 'whats my ip' website and add to authorized networks which is not ideal as I need to keep adding/removing it now.     For months, I have not had to update any 'allowlist' until now.  All locations, I am getting the same error result that I did not get before. (ie. all routers in all the cafes I work from and at home). 

😥Well, seems like they fixed it.  it is working again!!!!!!!!  I changed nothing in the scripts at all!!!!  ouch, that sucked as it was down for a few days. 

Your home's IP address, which has been whitelisted, may change. This is a common occurrence with home Internet connections. You need to update the IP address in the list of allowed IP addresses in GCP settings.
Does your service account have the necessary permissions to access your database in GCP? This may include allowing connections from certain IP addresses.

The command accounts for changes in ip address!!!  They somehow fixed it(they must have broken it, realized and fixed it).  It was working for months and then was out for a few weeks.   AS A WORKAROUND, I had to start adding ip addresses in the allow list.  Now that it is working again, I deleted ALL ip addresses from allow list.

The above command is better as it whitelists your current ip for 5 minutes, connects and then you are in and it removes it from the whitelist keeping you very secure.