GCP Memorystore Redis access with TLS

Hello,

I had a memorystore redis instance set up with auth and was able to connect to ir perfectly with redispy from a vm, with redis-cli and from a redisinsight deployed in gke.

I have now recreated the instance but with tls encryption and I am failing to connect from all three. I have tried using the server-ca and self signed certs but have not found success. I am a bit lost here I don't know if I am approaching this correctly or if I missed something, so I would greatly appreciate it if someone could share some guidance on how to connect when tls is enabled.

Thanks

Solved Solved
0 1 767
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Connecting to a Google Cloud Memorystore for Redis instance with TLS encryption requires a few additional steps and configurations compared to a non-TLS setup:

Prerequisites:

• TLS Certificates: Make sure you have the Server CA Certificate. You can find this in the Google Cloud console after enabling TLS.

Connecting to Your TLS-Enabled Redis Instance:

1. Using redis-cli

• Download Certificates: Get the server CA certificate from your Google Cloud console.

• Command Line:

redis-cli --tls --cacert <path-to-server-ca> -h <redis-host> -p <redis-port> -a <your-password> 

• Replace <path-to-server-ca>, <redis-host>, <redis-port>, and <your-password> with the correct values for your instance.
    • Important: The --auth option is not valid. Use -a for password authentication.

2. Using RedisPy (Python)

• Python Code:

import redis 

redis_client = redis.StrictRedis( 
        host='your-redis-host', 
        port=your-redis-port, 
        password='your-password', 
        ssl=True, 
        ssl_ca_certs='path/to/server-ca.crt' 
    ) 

• Remember to replace the placeholders with your correct information.

3. Using RedisInsight

• Certificate Upload: During connection setup in RedisInsight, upload your server CA certificate.
  • TLS Options: In the RedisInsight UI, enable TLS-related settings for your connection.

Troubleshooting Tips:

• Firewall Rules: Check that your firewall allows traffic on the Redis port.
  • Certificate Paths: Double-check that the certificate paths in your code or commands are accurate.
  • Error Messages: If you encounter errors, read the messages carefully for clues.

Additional Notes:

• Client-specific instructions may have slight variations. Make sure you have TLS-compatible versions of redis-cli, redis-py, and RedisInsight.
  • Google Cloud Memorystore for Redis doesn't use mutual TLS (client authentication). You don't need client certificates and keys.
  • For the latest information, always consult the official Google Cloud Memorystore for Redis documentation.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Connecting to a Google Cloud Memorystore for Redis instance with TLS encryption requires a few additional steps and configurations compared to a non-TLS setup:

Prerequisites:

• TLS Certificates: Make sure you have the Server CA Certificate. You can find this in the Google Cloud console after enabling TLS.

Connecting to Your TLS-Enabled Redis Instance:

1. Using redis-cli

• Download Certificates: Get the server CA certificate from your Google Cloud console.

• Command Line:

redis-cli --tls --cacert <path-to-server-ca> -h <redis-host> -p <redis-port> -a <your-password> 

• Replace <path-to-server-ca>, <redis-host>, <redis-port>, and <your-password> with the correct values for your instance.
    • Important: The --auth option is not valid. Use -a for password authentication.

2. Using RedisPy (Python)

• Python Code:

import redis 

redis_client = redis.StrictRedis( 
        host='your-redis-host', 
        port=your-redis-port, 
        password='your-password', 
        ssl=True, 
        ssl_ca_certs='path/to/server-ca.crt' 
    ) 

• Remember to replace the placeholders with your correct information.

3. Using RedisInsight

• Certificate Upload: During connection setup in RedisInsight, upload your server CA certificate.
  • TLS Options: In the RedisInsight UI, enable TLS-related settings for your connection.

Troubleshooting Tips:

• Firewall Rules: Check that your firewall allows traffic on the Redis port.
  • Certificate Paths: Double-check that the certificate paths in your code or commands are accurate.
  • Error Messages: If you encounter errors, read the messages carefully for clues.

Additional Notes:

• Client-specific instructions may have slight variations. Make sure you have TLS-compatible versions of redis-cli, redis-py, and RedisInsight.
  • Google Cloud Memorystore for Redis doesn't use mutual TLS (client authentication). You don't need client certificates and keys.
  • For the latest information, always consult the official Google Cloud Memorystore for Redis documentation.