How can I see in which countries Google Cloud services are unavailable?

How can I see in which countries Google Cloud services are unavailable? I noticed that the data is not transmitted to Russia starting from October 12... has anyone else encountered this problem?

0 8 2,144
8 REPLIES 8

Google Cloud services are unavailable in the following countries:

• Crimea
  • Cuba
  • Iran
  • North Korea
  • Syria

Google has restricted access to certain business services in these countries due to US export controls and sanctions.

Why are Google Cloud services unavailable in certain countries?

There are a number of reasons why Google Cloud services may be unavailable in certain countries, including:

• Compliance with government regulations: Google must comply with the laws and regulations of the countries in which it operates.This may include restrictions on the types of data that can be stored or processed in certain countries.
  • Technical limitations: Google Cloud relies on a global network of data centers. In some countries, it may not be possible to build or operate data centers that meet Google's high standards for security and reliability.
  • Security concerns: Google takes the security of its users' data very seriously. If Google believes that there is a risk of data being compromised in a certain country,it may restrict access to Cloud services in that country.

Are there any restrictions for Russia now? We have content that is stored on Firestore and is not displayed to users in Russia starting from October 12. We want to understand as best we can what the problem is and how it can be solved. Thank you!

Hi @ms4446

Is this restriction prevents users of these countries from accessing GCP only?

I'm planning to deploy my websites on GCP and I'm expecting to have visitors from some of the above countries, is there anyway I can allow them to use my service or should I just choose different provider? 

Hi @slali ,

The restrictions on Google Cloud services in certain countries primarily affect the ability to purchase and use GCP services from within those countries. This means that individuals and organizations based in countries like Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, and Syria typically cannot become GCP customers or operate GCP resources. However, the impact on users outside of these countries, such as yourself, is a bit different.

If you deploy your websites on GCP, here are some considerations regarding visitors from these restricted countries:

1. Access to Hosted Content: Generally, the restriction is on the use of GCP services within the sanctioned countries, not on accessing content hosted on GCP from these countries. This means that, in many cases, users in these countries might still be able to access websites and applications hosted on GCP, unless there are specific restrictions imposed by the local government or by Google for legal reasons.

2. Potential Limitations: While access might technically be possible, there could be limitations due to network infrastructure, local censorship, or additional restrictions that could affect the user experience. The reliability and speed of access might also be impacted.

3. Legal Compliance: As the owner of the website, you should be aware of the legal implications of providing services to users in sanctioned countries. It's important to ensure that your use of GCP and your website's services comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including US export controls and sanctions.

4. Alternative Solutions: If you anticipate a significant user base from these countries and want to ensure uninterrupted service, you might consider hosting your website with a provider that doesn't face the same restrictions, or using a multi-cloud strategy where different parts of your service are hosted with different providers.

5. Consulting Legal Advice: Given the complexity of sanctions and export controls, it's advisable to consult with legal experts who specialize in international trade and compliance laws to understand the full implications for your specific situation.

In summary, while users in sanctioned countries might still be able to access content hosted on GCP, there are potential limitations and legal considerations to keep in mind. Exploring alternative hosting solutions and seeking legal advice are prudent steps to ensure compliance and optimal service availability for your international audience.

Sir with due respect, i want to block some countires traffic not to access my application or also nginx ingress controller. Is their is any reasonable solution their. 

Blocking traffic from specific countries to your application or Nginx ingress controller can be achieved through various methods. Here are some reasonable solutions:

1. GeoIP Blocking at the Nginx Level: Nginx can be configured to use the GeoIP module, which allows you to block or allow traffic based on the geographical location of the IP address. You would need to obtain a GeoIP database (like MaxMind's GeoLite2) and configure Nginx to block requests from the specified countries.

• Pros: Efficient and fast, as it's handled directly at the web server level.
    • Cons: Requires maintaining an up-to-date GeoIP database and Nginx configuration.
  2. Firewall Rules: Implement firewall rules at the network level to block incoming traffic from specific countries. This can be done using Cloud Armor.

• Pros: Provides a strong layer of security and can be managed centrally.
    • Cons: Might require additional costs and expertise to set up and manage.
  3. Content Delivery Network (CDN) Rules: If you're using a CDN like Cloudflare, Akamai, or Fastly, you can configure rules to block traffic from certain countries.

• Pros: Easy to set up and manage, and offers additional benefits like improved performance and DDoS protection.
    • Cons: Depends on using a CDN service, which might incur additional costs.
  4. Application-Level Blocking: Implement country-based blocking logic within your application. This method requires your application to determine the user's country based on their IP address and then allow or deny access accordingly.

• Pros: Gives you full control over the blocking logic and can be customized as per your application's needs.
    • Cons: Adds complexity to your application, requires maintaining an IP-to-country mapping, and can impact application performance.
  5. Third-Party Security Services: Use third-party security services or tools that specialize in traffic filtering and geo-blocking.

• Pros: Often easy to set up and offer additional security features.
    • Cons: Can be costly and may require reliance on external services.

When implementing geo-blocking, it's important to consider the following:

• Accuracy: GeoIP databases may not always be 100% accurate, and IP addresses can be spoofed or hidden using VPNs and proxies.
  • Legal and Ethical Considerations: Ensure that your approach to blocking traffic complies with legal requirements and consider the ethical implications of denying access based on geographic location.
  • Maintenance: GeoIP data and firewall rules may need regular updates to remain effective.

As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, Google Cloud services are generally available in many countries around the world. However, availability can vary based on the specific services and features you are looking for. Google Cloud Platform (GCP) continuously expands its global presence, and new regions and services may have been added since then.

To check the current availability of Google Cloud services in specific countries, you can follow these steps:

1. Google Cloud Status Page:

• Visit the Google Cloud Status Dashboard.
    • This page provides real-time information about the status of Google Cloud services, including incidents and outages.
    • Check for any incidents in the region or service you are interested in.
  2. Google Cloud Region List:

• Google Cloud services are hosted in multiple regions around the world.
    • Visit the Google Cloud Locations page to see the list of regions where Google Cloud services are available.
  3. Google Cloud Console:

• Navigate to the "IAM & Admin" section.
    • Under "Identity and Access Management," select "Settings."
    • Look for the "Service availability" section, which provides information about the availability of services in different locations.
  4. Contact Google Cloud Support:

• If you cannot find the information you need on the status page or in the console, you can contact Google Cloud Support for more specific information about the availability of services in certain countries...................

can i write google cloud exams in Belarus?