Is it possible to sync MySQL to PosgreSQL

hello guys, I am using the GG Adscript to get some GGAds data and then insert it into my PostgreSQL database. The problem is GG Adscript JDBC only supports connecting to MySQL. So, currently, I save the data into Mysql, but I am finding the easiest way to sync the data from Mysql to PostgreSQL (both are set up in the GG Cloud SQL)

It would be very appreciated if you could share with me the solution. (is it possible to sync data 2 ways?)

0 1 480
1 REPLY 1

Yes, it is possible to synchronize data between MySQL and PostgreSQL databases in Google Cloud, although it requires setting up a custom solution as there is no direct, built-in service for this specific task in Google Cloud. Here's a general approach to achieve this:

One-Way Synchronization (MySQL to PostgreSQL)

1. Data Export/Import Method:

• Export Data from MySQL: Use mysqldump or a similar tool to export data from your MySQL database.
    • Transform Data Format: Convert the MySQL data dump to a format compatible with PostgreSQL, if necessary.
    • Import Data into PostgreSQL: Use PostgreSQL's psql command or another tool to import the data into your PostgreSQL database.
  2. Custom Scripting:

• Write a custom script (in Python, Node.js, etc.) that reads data from MySQL and writes it to PostgreSQL.
    • Schedule this script to run at regular intervals using cron jobs or Google Cloud Scheduler.
  3. Change Data Capture (CDC) Tools:

• Use third-party CDC tools like Striim to capture changes in MySQL and propagate them to PostgreSQL.
    • These tools can capture inserts, updates, and deletes in near real-time.

Two-Way Synchronization

Two-way synchronization is more complex and requires careful conflict resolution and data consistency checks. You can use the following approach:

1. Custom Synchronization Logic:

• Develop a custom application that monitors changes in both databases and synchronizes them bidirectionally.
    • Implement conflict resolution logic to handle data discrepancies between the two databases.
  2. Third-Party Synchronization Tools:

• Use third-party tools that support bidirectional synchronization. Tools like SymmetricDS can be configured for this purpose.

Considerations

• Data Consistency: Ensure that your synchronization logic correctly handles data consistency, especially for bidirectional sync.
  • Performance: Synchronization, especially bidirectional, can be resource-intensive. Monitor the performance impact on both databases.
  • Schema Differences: Handle differences in data types and schema designs between MySQL and PostgreSQL.
  • Error Handling: Implement robust error handling and logging mechanisms in your synchronization process.
  • Security: Ensure that the data transfer between MySQL and PostgreSQL is secure, especially if it involves sensitive data.

Google Cloud Specifics

• Utilize Google Cloud services like Cloud SQL for both MySQL and PostgreSQL for easier management and integration.
  • Consider using Google Cloud Pub/Sub for real-time data changes and triggering synchronization scripts.
  • Leverage Google Cloud Functions or Cloud Run to host your custom synchronization scripts without managing servers.

While Google Cloud doesn't provide a direct service for MySQL to PostgreSQL synchronization, you can achieve this using custom scripts, third-party tools, or a combination of Google Cloud services. The complexity and approach will depend on your specific requirements, such as the need for one-way or two-way synchronization and the volume of data to be synchronized.