Will cloudfunction URLs change after migrating to 2nd gen?

Since 1st gen functions will soon be shut down, I'm migrating my projects to use 2nd gen functions.

According to the Firebase console,  1st gen functions are reachable at URLs like

https://$REGION-$PROJECT_NAME.cloudfunctions.net/$FUNCTION_NAME

while for 2nd gen URLs seem something like

https://$FUNCTION_NAME-$SOME_KIND_OF_PROJECT_ID-$REGION_SHORT.a.run.app

but they're still reachable at 1st-gen-like URLs.

How long will 2nd gen functions be reachable both ways?

Solved Solved
1 2 975
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @cionzo,

Welcome to Google Cloud Community!

Cloud Function URL Migration:
  • New URLs: Cloud Function URLs change after migrating to 2nd gen, using the .run.app domain format.
  • Dual Reachability: During migration, both old (1st gen) and new URLs work for a limited time.
  • Deprecation Timeline: Google hasn't specified the exact duration of dual reachability. Update code ASAP to new URLs.
  • Actionable steps:
    • Update code and configurations to use new URLs.
    • Follow Google Cloud documentation for migration steps.
    • Monitor official announcements for deprecation updates.
    • Consider setting up alerts for relevant information.
    • Contact Google Cloud support for specific concerns.

Remember, migrating to new URLs and staying informed about updates is crucial for a smooth transition and to avoid future disruptions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @cionzo,

Welcome to Google Cloud Community!

Cloud Function URL Migration:
  • New URLs: Cloud Function URLs change after migrating to 2nd gen, using the .run.app domain format.
  • Dual Reachability: During migration, both old (1st gen) and new URLs work for a limited time.
  • Deprecation Timeline: Google hasn't specified the exact duration of dual reachability. Update code ASAP to new URLs.
  • Actionable steps:
    • Update code and configurations to use new URLs.
    • Follow Google Cloud documentation for migration steps.
    • Monitor official announcements for deprecation updates.
    • Consider setting up alerts for relevant information.
    • Contact Google Cloud support for specific concerns.

Remember, migrating to new URLs and staying informed about updates is crucial for a smooth transition and to avoid future disruptions.

Thanks @christianpaula.
Since my projects have associated mobile apps, my problem is not that of using new URLs in new app versions but pushing current (lazy) users to update their apps.

Hence, having a known deprecation deadline for old URLs would help in explaining to current users the necessity of updating their app version.

Should anybody get aware of such a deadline, please share! 🙂