Upgrade to Artifact Registry before March 18, 2025

I just received an email telling me that I need to take action and upgrade my Google Cloud account to switch from container registry to artifact registry. I don't understand what I am supposed to do.

I didn't even realize I was using Google Cloud. I am using Firebase, and I believe the issue is Firebase Storage specifically. Everything mentioned in the email is beyond my understanding, and I don't see any YouTube videos or stack overflow posts explaining it. 

I would assume Firebase would handle the transition for me, but I don't know. Does anyone have any better insight into this, or have some direction to point me in? These are settings and concepts that I don't understand, and I don't want to destroy the backend of my app by experimentally changing things I don't comprehend. 

2 2 238
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @BobUnderscoreP,

Welcome to Google Cloud Community!

Firebase Storage Likely Unaffected

• Email warning about switch from Container Registry to Artifact Registry in GCP.
  • Firebase Storage (separate service) likely not impacted.

Possible Need to Migrate

• If app uses Container Registry for container images, migrate to Artifact Registry by March 18, 2025.

Next Steps

1. Contact Google Cloud Support to confirm if action is needed for Firebase app.
  2. If migration required, use Google Cloud resources to move from Container Registry to Artifact Registry.

I'm wondering the same.  firebase deploy command line does upload artifacts to a bucket.  My guess is we'll likely need to upgrade firebase cli at sometime in the future.  Anyone know if this is true?