vpc sc effect on looker studio blends

We are using bigquery as our data warehouse.Our data analysts are using looker studio as their data analytics tool.

we have applied vpc service perimeter to a project for all the services in GCP to restrict resource access to only certain IP network (office networks) so that users should not be able to open in the remote areas other than office premises.

When they connect the tables protected in service perimeter to looker studio they are getting less number of records compared to records count when tables are connected without VPC SC perimeter.Whereas when they run in Metabase with vpc sc perimeter applied to Bigquery api they are getting the records properly. What might be the reason for this discrepancy in looker studio.

I have tried some test cases from which I have not understood what is happening under the hood

case -1 : we have created table chart where only one table is connected which is of around 100MB.Data is getting loaded properly with and without vpc sc and we are getting all the records.

case -2: here table blended with same table.With vpc sc we are getting less number of records than without vpc sc(we are getting data properly upto 8MB)

case -3: here table blended with other table with vpc sc.Here also we are getting less number of records than without vpc sc(we are getting data properly upto 5MB)

2 2 246
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Pranavi ,

Based from the concern that you've raised, you're having trouble with Looker Studio as it gets fewer records from BigQuery in a VPC Service Perimeter. This can be the possible reasons and factors that you can check :

Looker Studio
Make sure Looker Studio is set up correctly to work with BigQuery in a VPC Service Perimeter. Check if the connection settings, credentials, and permissions are correct.
- I suggest you review the logs and check 
for any error messages or warnings connected to the process of fetching data.
- Make sure that you're using the latest version of Looker Studio. Newer versions have a fix on compatibility issues and improve how VPC Service Perimeter restrictions are handled.
- You might also consider reaching out to Looker support for assistance.

Network and Firewall Rules
- Double check the firewall rules within the VPC Service Perimeter. Where they they are correctly configured to allow traffic between Looker Studio and BigQuery.
- Make sure that the IP addresses used by Looker Studio are included in the allowed IP ranges of your VPC Service Perimeter.

These answers and suggestions that I have provided are in general since there was little information regarding your setup. But this will help you where to check and what to check.

In Looker Studio, the number of records only drops when blending data sources. Both datasets show accurate totals individually, but the blended result is inexplicably incomplete. Allowing  Looker Studio IPs(whitelisted 142.251.74.0/23) hasn't solved the issue.