Batch UI does not load

Hi,

First time posting here, please let me know if there is a more appropriate forum or board or location to post this issue.

I am having an issue where the user interface for Google Cloud Batch is not loading. It only occurs in one of my google cloud projects where there is a history of approximately 19000 batch jobs launched previously. 

When I navigate to the page, the page takes 3+ minutes to load, then the batch jobs appear in the list albeit out of order, and then when I try to do anything the list of jobs disappear and I get an error "Sorry, server was not able to fulfill your request." (see screenshot).

google-batch-ui-error-Screenshot 2023-11-17 115406.png

Any ideas on how to resolve this? I would like to see the batch job logs and it is cumbersome to use the Logs Explorer to view batch job logs that way.

Curtis

Solved Solved
2 10 476
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Currently, there is UI latency as jobs in your project exceed ~15,000. We've shared alternatives in Known Issues to remediate the issue as we work on a longer term UI latency improvement. We recommend using the Delete and export script if you do not need the old jobs anymore.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Currently, there is UI latency as jobs in your project exceed ~15,000. We've shared alternatives in Known Issues to remediate the issue as we work on a longer term UI latency improvement. We recommend using the Delete and export script if you do not need the old jobs anymore.

Thank you for the quick reply, Shamel. We will try out these solutions and see if the issue resolves.

@Shamel pipeline software such as Nextflow (https://www.nextflow.io/) can easily submit 1000's of jobs to GCP Batch per pipeline run. 

High latency in the GCP console with even a few 1000 jobs in Batch is a big problem for assessing the status of jobs submitted by pipeline software such as Nextflow. 

I'm surprised that the GCP Batch console latency is so high, given that Google products are generally known for low latency. 

At least for me, the "Date created" column in the GCP Batch Job list table defaults to oldest-first, but newest-first would be a much more useful default.  

Moreover, if I try to change the ordering by clicking on the "Date created" column, I always get the error: "Sorry, the server was not able to fulfill your request." 

Due to this issue, trying to view the latest GCP Batch jobs via the console is extremely slow and tedious. 

@Shamel you recommend:

>We recommend using the Delete and export script if you do not need the old jobs anymore.

... but that involves the convoluted process of 1) creating a big query dataset and table, 2) exporting the jobs into the big query table, and 3) deleting the exported jobs. 

Why can't one simply use the glcoud CLI?

Moreover, why isn't this feature available via the GCP Console, given the high latency issues?

The long term solution is in the works and is on track to roll out soon. This should address the current UI latency issues with the job list page. We apologize for the inconvenience.

You'll want to set up a cron job that prunes jobs at some regular cadence. Your screenshot has 20,000+ completed (succeeded and failed) jobs. In my experience with GCP Batch, anything around or more than 1300 jobs will make the UI (or gcloud) laggy.

I have a cron job in Cloud Scheduler that triggers a Cloud Run Job every 6 hours to sweep one GCP Project's Batch jobs and delete anything older than X days (depends on the project)

Here's essentially the code I use

import logging
import os
from queue import Queue
import threading
import time

import arrow
import click
from google.api_core.retry import Retry
from google.cloud import batch_v1 as batch

logger = logging.getLogger(__name__)

PAGE_SIZE = 1000
DEFAULT_PROJECT_REGION = f'projects/{os.environ["GCP_PROJECT_ID"]}/locations/{os.environ["GCP_REGION"]}'
DEFAULT_SEARCH_FILTER = 'status.state="SUCCEEDED" OR status.state="FAILED"'
DEFAULT_OLDER_THAN_DAYS = 7
DEFAULT_NUM_WORKERS = 8

def delete_job(the_queue, dry_run=False):
    client = batch.BatchServiceClient()
    operations = {}

def drain_operations():
        for job_name, operation  in operations.items():
            operation.result()
            logger.info(f'Finished deleting job: {job_name}')
        operations.clear()

while True:
        try:
            job_name = the_queue.get()
            if job_name is None:
                drain_operations()
                break

logger.info(f'Deleting job: {job_name}')
            if not dry_run:
                operations[job_name] = client.delete_job(name=job_name, retry=Retry())

if len(operations) >= 100:
                drain_operations()
        finally:
            the_queue.task_done()

def run(
    search_filter=DEFAULT_SEARCH_FILTER,
    older_than_days=DEFAULT_OLDER_THAN_DAYS,
    gcp_project_region=DEFAULT_PROJECT_REGION,
    num_workers=DEFAULT_NUM_WORKERS,
    dry_run=False,
):
    older_than = arrow.utcnow().shift(days=-1 * abs(older_than_days))

logger.info(f'Deleting jobs from project region: {gcp_project_region}')
    logger.info(f'Deleting jobs matching filter: {search_filter}')
    logger.info(f'Deleting jobs older than: {older_than.isoformat()}')
    logger.info(f'Deleting jobs with # of workers: {num_workers}')

the_queue = Queue()
    workers = []
    for x in range(num_workers):
        worker = threading.Thread(
            target=delete_job,
            daemon=True,
            args=[
                the_queue,
            ],
            kwargs=dict(
                dry_run=dry_run,
            ),
        )
        worker.start()
        workers.append(worker)

client = batch.BatchServiceClient()
    request = batch.ListJobsRequest(
        parent=gcp_project_region,
        filter=search_filter,
        page_size=PAGE_SIZE,
    )
    idx = 0
    for job in client.list_jobs(request, retry=Retry()):
        if arrow.get(job.update_time.rfc3339()) < older_than:
            the_queue.put(job.name)
            idx += 1
            if idx % PAGE_SIZE == 0:
                logger.info(f'Enqueued another {PAGE_SIZE} jobs for deletion')

while True:
        count = the_queue.qsize()
        logger.info(f'Remaining jobs to delete: {count}')
        if count < 10:
            break

time.sleep(30)

for w in workers:
        the_queue.put(None)

the_queue.join()
    logger.info('Finished deleting all jobs')

@click.command()
@click.option('--filter', 'search_filter', type=str, default=DEFAULT_SEARCH_FILTER)
@click.option('--older-than-days', 'older_than_days', type=int, default=DEFAULT_OLDER_THAN_DAYS, help='Delete jobs older than the number of days from today')
@click.option('--gcp-project-region', default=DEFAULT_PROJECT_REGION, help='GCP Project and Region in the following format: projects/GCP_PROJECT_ID/locations/GCP_REGION')
@click.option('--num-workers', default=DEFAULT_NUM_WORKERS, )
@click.option('--dry-run', is_flag=True)
def command(search_filter, older_than_days, gcp_project_region, num_workers, dry_run):
    run(
        search_filter=search_filter,
        older_than_days=older_than_days,
        gcp_project_region=gcp_project_region,
        num_workers=num_workers,
        dry_run=dry_run
    )

if __name__ == '__main__':
    command()

Thanks @atlasai-bborie for sharing the code! That solution seems more straight-forward than the solution proposed at https://cloud.google.com/batch/docs/known-issues#latency

Recent changes have been made to address the latency on the Job List page. The improvements will address the scenario where the Job List page will take several minutes to load or report "Sorry, the server was not able to fulfill your request.".

Please let us know if you are still experiencing the latency loading the Job List page. Thank you.

Thank you for the follow up @Shamel ! Appreciate the efforts to resolve the latency issue.

FYI I marked your first comment as the accepted solution, as the google workflow did clear out the batch job history and reduce UI latency significantly, but this should no longer be necessary given the changes that were released today.

Thank you and the other commenters for their useful feedback & discussion