Local SSDs are cleared when I restart a VM?

I restarted a VM on GCP, and now my local SSDs both appear mounted but empty. Is there any reason this would happen?

Solved Solved
4 2 88
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @vedantroy-genmo,

as per documentation:

----

Local SSD disks offer superior I/O operations per second (IOPS), and very low latency compared to Persistent Disk and Google Cloud Hyperdisk. This is because Local SSD disks are physically attached to the server that hosts your VM. For this same reason, Local SSD disks can only provide temporary storage.

Warning: Local SSD storage is not automatically replicated and all data on the Local SSD may be lost if the VM stops or is terminated for any reason.

---

So it's a normal behaviour related to local SSD. You can prevent data loss by implementing a shutdown script that for example copy all data to some persistent storage solution as Persistent Disks or to a GCS bucket (that obviously not works as a filesystem but as object storage). 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hello @vedantroy-genmo  ,Welcome on Google Cloud Community.

Which OS ( Linux or Windows ) do you have on that vm?

cheers,
DamianS

Hi @vedantroy-genmo,

as per documentation:

----

Local SSD disks offer superior I/O operations per second (IOPS), and very low latency compared to Persistent Disk and Google Cloud Hyperdisk. This is because Local SSD disks are physically attached to the server that hosts your VM. For this same reason, Local SSD disks can only provide temporary storage.

Warning: Local SSD storage is not automatically replicated and all data on the Local SSD may be lost if the VM stops or is terminated for any reason.

---

So it's a normal behaviour related to local SSD. You can prevent data loss by implementing a shutdown script that for example copy all data to some persistent storage solution as Persistent Disks or to a GCS bucket (that obviously not works as a filesystem but as object storage).