Migration Tools from Huawei Cloud to GCP

Hi team,

i have a problem. I need migrate my vm from huawei cloud to gcp, but gcp dont have a native tools. How can migrate my vm to GCP?

thanks for all

2 13 1,362
13 REPLIES 13

Hi, 

Are you facing any specific challenge while migrating or you haven't tried yet ?
Google Cloud is quite capable to support migrations, you should not have any hindrances. You can refer the link below. I have personally migrated my vm from Linode to GCP without hiccups. 

https://cloud.google.com/architecture/migrating-vms-migrate-for-compute-engine-getting-started

All the best with the migration. 

hi,

the problem is with GCP. Dont have support to migrate from Huawei Cloud, only have support to AWS, AZURE or VMWARE Local

a_
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Hi @CapThor  here your query answer
Migrating a virtual machine (VM) from one cloud provider, such as Huawei Cloud, to Google Cloud Platform (GCP) can be a complex process, especially if there are no native tools available for the specific migration path. Here's a general guide on how you can approach this migration:

Assessment and Planning:
First, assess your existing VM on Huawei Cloud to understand its configurations, operating system, data, and dependencies.
Identify the key components of your application that need to be migrated, including databases, storage, and network configurations.
Plan the migration strategy, considering factors like downtime tolerance, data transfer methods, and the target architecture on GCP.

Create a Target VM on GCP:
Create a new VM instance on GCP with the desired configuration that matches or exceeds the specifications of your VM on Huawei Cloud.
Install the necessary software and tools on the GCP VM that are required for your application.

Data Migration:
Copy your data from Huawei Cloud to GCP. You can use various methods depending on the volume of data:
Data Transfer Service: Google provides Data Transfer Service for online data transfer from AWS, Azure, and on-premises data centers. While it may not support Huawei Cloud directly, you can transfer data from your local environment.
Offline Data Transfer: For large datasets, you can physically ship storage devices to Google for migration.
Network Transfer: You can use tools like rsync or other data transfer methods over the network.

Application Configuration:
Replicate the configuration settings from your Huawei Cloud VM to the GCP VM. This includes network configurations, firewalls, and any other application-specific settings.

Testing and Validation:
Thoroughly test your application on the GCP VM to ensure that it functions correctly and performs well in the new environment. This should include both functional and performance testing.

DNS and IP Changes:
Update DNS records and IP addresses if necessary to point to the new GCP VM.

Final Data Sync and Cutover:
Perform a final data sync to ensure that all data is up to date.
Schedule a cutover to the GCP VM, which may involve some downtime depending on your migration plan.

Monitoring and Optimization:
After the migration, monitor your application's performance and make any necessary optimizations to ensure it runs efficiently on GCP.

Documentation:
Document the migration process and configurations for future reference.

It's important to note that the exact steps and tools you'll use can vary depending on your specific application and infrastructure setup. If your application relies on specific Huawei Cloud services, you may need to refactor or replace those services with GCP equivalents as part of the migration process.

Additionally, consider consulting with a Google Cloud Partner or contacting Google Cloud Support for guidance and assistance with your migration, as they can provide more tailored recommendations based on your specific requirements and challenges.

Thanks for you reply. My problem is with. the exact tools. I cant find this tools. GCP dont have this tools.. Only have support to migrate from aws, azure or vmware local. Do you know any tool that allows me to synchronize online?

a_
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

@CapThor Sorry to Google Cloud doesn't provide specific tools for migrating.

I know, but I need a third-party tool that allows me to do the migration online

a_
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

@CapThor You'll need to rely on more general-purpose migration techniques.

One option is to use third-party migration and synchronization tools to facilitate the migration process. Here are some tools and approaches that you can consider:

1. CloudEndure:

• CloudEndure offers a robust migration solution that can help you migrate workloads from various sources, including Huawei Cloud, to GCP. It supports live migration with minimal downtime and offers continuous data replication.
  2. Third-Party Backup and Restore Solutions:

• Some backup and disaster recovery solutions can also be used for migration purposes. You can create a backup of your VM in Huawei Cloud and then restore it to a VM instance in GCP using a compatible solution.
  3. Custom Data Transfer:

• You can write custom scripts or use tools like rsync or rclone to synchronize data between the two environments. This method may require more manual effort and scripting.
  4. Data Transfer Services:

• While Google's Data Transfer Service doesn't directly support Huawei Cloud, you can consider using it to transfer data from your on-premises environment to GCP.
  5. Hybrid Cloud Setup:

• Consider setting up a hybrid cloud configuration where you keep your Huawei Cloud VM running while also creating an equivalent VM on GCP. Then, replicate data and services gradually and cut over when ready.

Please note that these tools and methods may vary in terms of complexity and downtime requirements. The choice of the right approach depends on your specific use case, data volume, and tolerance for downtime.

Before proceeding with any migration, it's crucial to thoroughly test your chosen migration approach in a non-production environment to ensure that it meets your requirements and expectations.

Additionally, you may want to reach out to Google Cloud support or consult with a professional cloud migration service provider to get personalized guidance and assistance for your migration project.

Hello.

Thank you for your answers. I have already checked Cloudendure and it was acquired by AWS and it does not allow migrations from another cloud other than AWS. I have looked for third-party tools, but I have not had success. I need to migrate more than 30 ECS from Huawei Cloud to GCP, but I need tools that do it online, so that the final downtime is small.

you have any idea?

a_
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Yet I can't found anything. I already posted ideas that I knew.

😫ok

a_
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

😑🙄........

Hello. Did you try Hystax? Huawei Cloud uses KVM as virtualizator, and Hystax could be a solution to migrate VMs from Huawei Cloud to GCP, because Hystax says that it supports migrations based on KVM.