Migration of maven artefacts from on-prem to cloud

Hi,

I am currently evaluating the maven repository feature of the artefact registry for possible use by my company. My immediate question is how best to migrate the existing artefacts from our on-prem storage. The documentation I've found only suggests using maven/gradle's deploy functions, either manually or in CI/CD. There are a couple of problems with that:

1. In order to preserve artefact history, we would need to manually checkout each version of each repository, edit the build files, and perform the release procedure again. This would be very time consuming.

2. We have some artefacts that are provided to us pre-built by third parties. Although we are permitted to distribute them on private, authenticated registries they are closed source, meaning we cannot build and deploy them with maven/gradle.

Ideally I would like a way to copy all existing artefacts from one solution to another, but I can't find any evidence that this is supported or planned.

Solved Solved
1 3 227
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Marramirez 

Wiesz już może kiedy będzie możliwa automatyczna migracja z on-prem do artifact registry?

Do you already know when automatic migration from on-prem to the artifact registry will be possible?

Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @callumforrester,

Welcome to the Google Cloud Community!

It is not yet possible to directly migrate on-premise artifacts to Google Cloud Artifact Registry. 

A work around that you can do is to:

First, make sure you have the necessary permissions to access the resources. You can then transfer them to an artifact repository. There are tons of artifact repository tools on the internet.

Second, from a third party registry, you can then migrate it to Google Cloud Platform. Take a look at this documentation about Migrating Containers from a Third-Party Registry

It is best to know what artifact repository you should use. You should also look into the GCP Artifact Registry documentation and the source repository's documentation.

Let me know if it helped, thanks!

Hi, thanks for your reply! I am using the maven artefact registry, so not sure your workaround applies as it is for the container artefact registry. Is support for this sort of thing planned in general?

Hi @Marramirez 

Wiesz już może kiedy będzie możliwa automatyczna migracja z on-prem do artifact registry?

Do you already know when automatic migration from on-prem to the artifact registry will be possible?

Thanks