Optimization Inquiry for Google Cloud Services in Photo and Video Streaming Application

Dear Google Cloud Community,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out as I am currently working on a personal project that involves utilizing various Google Cloud services, including Google Cloud Run, Google Cloud MySQL, Google Cloud Bucket, and Google Cloud CDN. The goal of my project is to implement a photo and video streaming feature in the application's feed, akin to the functionality seen in platforms like Instagram.

I am seeking guidance on the most cost-efficient and optimized settings and configurations for this particular use case. Specifically, I would like to understand the best practices for configuring Google Cloud Run, Google Cloud MySQL, Google Cloud Bucket, and Google Cloud CDN to achieve seamless and efficient photo and video streaming for users.

Some key aspects I am interested in include:

1. Optimal Google Cloud Run Configuration: What are the recommended configurations for Google Cloud Run to handle the photo and video streaming efficiently? Are there specific settings to consider in terms of resources and scaling?

2. Database Optimization with Google Cloud MySQL: How can I optimize Google Cloud MySQL to handle the storage and retrieval of photo and video data efficiently? Are there specific indexing strategies or caching mechanisms that should be implemented?

3. Effective Use of Google Cloud Bucket: What configurations should be applied to Google Cloud Bucket to store and serve photos and videos effectively? Are there best practices for managing media assets within the bucket?

4. Utilizing Google Cloud CDN: Is it advisable to leverage Google Cloud CDN for optimizing the delivery of photos and videos? What configurations are recommended to achieve the best performance and cost-effectiveness?

I would greatly appreciate any insights, best practices, or recommendations from the community or anyone who has experience with similar use cases. Your expertise will be invaluable in helping me make informed decisions and optimizing the performance of my application.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

2 1 153
1 REPLY 1

Hi @istiyakshaikh,

Welcome to Google Cloud Community!

I would suggest exploring this documentation on Google Cloud for media and entertainment as this contains media solutions for photos and videos such as the following:

• Vertex AI - unifies the entire ML workflow from training to deployment, and can help organizations accelerate AI production, including with generative AI models
  • BigQuery - supports all data types, works across clouds, and has built-in machine learning and business intelligence, all within a unified platform. 
  • Cloud CDN and Media CDN - uses YouTube's infrastructure to bring video streams (VoD and live) and large file downloads closer to users for fast and reliable delivery.
  • Video Stitcher API - helps you generate dynamic content for delivery to client devices. Call the Video Stitcher API from your servers to dynamically insert ads into video-on-demand and live streams for your users.
  • Transcoder API - allows you to convert video files and package them for optimized delivery to web, mobile and connected TVs.
  • Live Stream API - you can transcode live, linear video streams into a variety of formats. Live Stream API benefits broadcasters, production companies, businesses, and individuals looking to transform their live video content for use across a variety of user devices.

Cloud Run usually is used to run frontend and backend services and deploy websites and applications.

Cloud SQL is used mainly for managing and maintaining RDBMS on GCP and since this is fully-managed by Google, it is not 1:1 function with known RDBMS.

Hope this helps.