SSH in browser to compute engine suddenly not working - no errors

I have a simple E2 instance running. There have been no issues with the server, but suddenly connecting through SSH in the browser (the only way I have ever connected) is no longer working. (I tried clearing browser cookies, logging in again with no success).
This loads and asks me to authorize, I confirm, but then receive a message that it failed to connect, with no error code. After this I am able to test: 1. vm status, 2. network status, 3. user permissions - which all test to okay. Looking in the logs there seems to be a request to change SSH key which I believe is normal, but am a newbie when it comes to this.
Can anyone help with the next steps - how can I regain access to my instance? Why might this not be working?

5 2 107
2 REPLIES 2

I thought I would update here myself since this didn't receive an answer yet. It appears my server is under some sort of network attack, which is causing large numbers of requests, which were being logged. I'm still working on blocking the attacks, and welcome any advice, but am making progress on the issue.

Hi @presentpro,

Welcome to the Google Cloud Community!

As initial troubleshooting steps, make sure to turn off extensions and ad blockers temporarily (including browsers like Brave). Kindly, try using a different browser and connect through a different network. 

Google Cloud offers a service called Google Cloud Armor that may help you with your issue [1],

Google Cloud Armor helps you protect your Google Cloud deployments from multiple types of threats, including distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks and application attacks like cross-site scripting (XSS) and SQL injection (SQLi). Google Cloud Armor features some automatic protections and some that you need to configure manually. This document provides a high-level overview of these features, several of which are only available for global external Application Load Balancers and classic Application Load Balancers.

Lastly, please don't hesitate to contact Google Cloud Support to further look into your case, as I cannot inspect your VM instance directly. 

Thank you.

[1]. https://cloud.google.com/armor/docs/cloud-armor-overview