SSL Certificate for www site fails

Hi,

I am trying to generate a SSL certificate for my www domain. I have added the corresponding Cloud DNS CNAME www as well.

When generating SSL Certificate via CertificateManager-Create SSL Certificate, the domain status is changed to FAILED_NOT_VISIBLE after 35 minutes.

Any help is highly appreciated

Thanks and Regards

Srinivasan

Solved Solved
2 8 252
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

Just for the benefit of others. 

I removed the CNAME DNS entry for www and instead added the A Recordset that points to the load balancer IP address. The SSL Certificate got generated.

So in short use A DNS Type instead of CNAME.

Thanks @jedihomer and @naveedseo for your time

Regards

Srinivasan

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Have you pointed the CNAME to the load balancer you have attached the cert to?

My understanding is that Google Managed Certs are only approved when the Domain it is creating for is pointed and attached to their load balancers.

See here 

Hi,

Yes , I did pointed the cloud DNS to the load balance IP , it failed. I then followed the instructions  as per this example . But both have the same results.

Regards

Srinivasan

Then I'm not too sure what's going on as it 'works for me'(tm)

What we do is create a Load Balancer and then create an A record pointing to it.

i.e. lb.mydomain.tld -> IP of Load Balancer

We then

1. Create a managed cert for www.mydomain.tld 
  2. Attach the managed cert to the above LB
  3. Create a CNAME of www and point that the lb.mydomain.tld

Then after a while (usually less than an hour) the cert goes active and all is good.

Yes, I did followed the same step. Looks like if I am missing something minor that I am not able to catch it.

Thanks again

Regards

Srinivasan

To confirm the DNS, if you dig our www domain

dig www.mydomain.tld

Does the answer section end up with an IP address that matches the public IP address of your load balancer.

And if you click on the load balancer name within GCP in the Frontend section it has the same IP address and lists your managed cert as attached?

Yes it has the load balancer IP address and cname is mydomain.com. (with period at the last).

Hi Naveen, 

Thanks for the detailed reply.

1. **Verify DNS Settings**: - Yes checked. The cname is ended with a period as well.

2. **Propagation Time**: - I have been trying this for almost 3 days, no luck yet. So I believe it has got enough propogation though.

3. **Check Ownership Verification** - our site is already google verified. A Txt Record was added as well while doing the ownership verification.

4. **Review Error Messages** - The domain status is just FAILED_NOT_VISIBLE. No further error message is seen.

Thanks again for your time.

Regards

Srinivasan

Hi,

Just for the benefit of others. 

I removed the CNAME DNS entry for www and instead added the A Recordset that points to the load balancer IP address. The SSL Certificate got generated.

So in short use A DNS Type instead of CNAME.

Thanks @jedihomer and @naveedseo for your time

Regards

Srinivasan