That bucket name is taken. Try another.

ssk
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

Hi @cloud Support,

I have a google domain named say "abc.com" and I am trying to connect my domain to my google cloud bucket to host my basic website. Based on documentation I am supposed to create a bucket with same name as "www.abc.com" however I get an error "That bucket name is taken. Try another." when i create a bucket with name "www.abc.com". 

Can someone else create a bucket with my domain name ? and if so what can I do in this situation to point my domain to a google bucket.

Thank you in Advance,

Sandeep

Solved Solved
0 2 1,330
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Generally when hosting a website, you point your domain to an IP address, and through your domain provider/registrar etc. In order to achieve that when hosting a static site in a Google Cloud Storage Bucket, you create an HTTP(s) load balancer. The loadbalancer will have an IP address that you can point the domain to and by itself will direct the traffic to the bucket. 

That said, and commenting on this statement: "Based on documentation I am supposed to create a bucket with same name".

You can create a bucket with any approved name, (first come first serve) and the name does not necessarily have any effect on how you host the static website. You can name the bucket anything you like as long as your domain is pointing to the HTTP(s) loadbalancer.  This is also explained in this tutorial.

Answering the questions :"Can someone else create a bucket with my domain name ? and if so what can I do in this situation to point my domain to a google bucket." 

It is not possible for someone to use your domain name in a bucket. If it happened, this means that he verified ownership of the domain as per the instructions in this document. Hence, you need to look into who has access to the domain and discuss with them if they created the bucket. As for the the second question, a domain named bucket is optional and not a requirement. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Generally when hosting a website, you point your domain to an IP address, and through your domain provider/registrar etc. In order to achieve that when hosting a static site in a Google Cloud Storage Bucket, you create an HTTP(s) load balancer. The loadbalancer will have an IP address that you can point the domain to and by itself will direct the traffic to the bucket. 

That said, and commenting on this statement: "Based on documentation I am supposed to create a bucket with same name".

You can create a bucket with any approved name, (first come first serve) and the name does not necessarily have any effect on how you host the static website. You can name the bucket anything you like as long as your domain is pointing to the HTTP(s) loadbalancer.  This is also explained in this tutorial.

Answering the questions :"Can someone else create a bucket with my domain name ? and if so what can I do in this situation to point my domain to a google bucket." 

It is not possible for someone to use your domain name in a bucket. If it happened, this means that he verified ownership of the domain as per the instructions in this document. Hence, you need to look into who has access to the domain and discuss with them if they created the bucket. As for the the second question, a domain named bucket is optional and not a requirement. 

Thank you for your response. I will try using load balancer , I thought not to try initially but since my the domain-bucket name is already used , I have no other choice.