Understanding HA VPN

Hi,
I am training to understand HA VPN.

I guess HA VPN includes route-based but I could not find any descriptions on any documents.
Does someone know HA VPN is a route-based or policy-based?
Then please show me document links if you know.

■Documents
https://cloud.google.com/network-connectivity/docs/vpn/concepts/overview#vpn-types

regards,

Solved Solved
1 10 1,450
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Thomasaw , HA VPN uses BGP for dynamic routing. You might find this documentation relevant/useful:  https://cloud.google.com/network-connectivity/docs/vpn/concepts/choosing-networks-routing#routing-op....

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hi @Thomasaw , HA VPN uses BGP for dynamic routing. You might find this documentation relevant/useful:  https://cloud.google.com/network-connectivity/docs/vpn/concepts/choosing-networks-routing#routing-op....

Hi @kumards ,

Thank you for your reply.

I saw it and it helped me but I have some problems.

I know a concept between on-prem and HA VPN seems to be different.

Standing at GCP, I would not pay attention to create HA VPN,

But as well as on-prem, I think I should take care whether policy-based or route-based.

BGP would be clear that trouble?

Best regards,

HA VPN requires your on premies VPN gateway device support BGP dynamic routing, there is a nice table that compares the options here:

https://cloud.google.com/network-connectivity/docs/vpn/concepts/choosing-networks-routing#ts-tun-rou...

Hope that helps.

Hi @alexmoore ,

Thanks for your an additional assist.

I understood that the table is all about the tunnel routing.

It also helps me a lot.

Best regards,

Hi @Thomasaw , I think yes, but I'll let a networking expert on this forum chime in to confirm.

Hi @kumards ,

Thank you for confirming it. How kind you are.

This is just my studying, but I am happy with your help.

Please let me know if you get another information.

Best regards,

HA VPN stands for High Availability Virtual Private Network. It is a type of virtual private network (VPN) setup that provides redundancy and ensures continuous connectivity between on-premises networks and cloud resources. HA VPN is typically used in cloud environments, like Google Cloud Platform (GCP), to create a secure and reliable connection between an organization's data center or on-premises network and resources hosted in the cloud.

Here are some key aspects of HA VPN:

1. Redundancy: HA VPN is designed to be highly available and fault-tolerant. It achieves this by setting up redundant connections between the on-premises network and the cloud environment. If one connection fails, traffic automatically fails over to the backup connection, ensuring continuous connectivity.

2. Load Balancing: HA VPN can leverage load balancing to distribute traffic across multiple VPN tunnels, optimizing performance and preventing overload on a single tunnel.

3. VPN Tunnels: In HA VPN, multiple IPsec VPN tunnels are established between the on-premises VPN gateway and the cloud VPN gateway. Each tunnel is associated with a unique public IP address

Hi @jameshatt ,

Thank you for replying.

I made it clear BGP helps a redundancy of HA VPN and why HA VPN uses BGP.

It seems to be efficient to connect between cloud and on-prem.

Thank you again

Best regards,

Hi @Thomasaw ,

In addition to @jameshatt answer, as HA VPN uses BGP,  it helps achieve a high level of reliability, scalability and automatic failover  in the VPN connection between on-premises networks and GCP. This also adds the following :

Scalability - With BGP, this is well suited for GCP's infrastructure to handle large and complex networks. HA VPN will also scare accordingly, making sure that VPN connectivity remains stable and reliable.

Interoperability - BGP's popularity in different networks and its support in HA VPN make it easy for organizations to connect their on-premises networks to GCP without complex configuration changes.

GCP's HA VPN with BGP provides a reliable and scalable network connection, ensuring automatic failover, load balancing, and easy integration with your on-premises network. It's an excellent choice for organizations seeking dependable VPN connectivity to GCP resources.

Hi @Marvin_Lucero ,

That is a brief and also helpful advice.

I appreciate that your kind reply.

Best regards,