how to launch pfsense firewall in GCP?

I've launched PfSense firewall in azure cloud from the azure market place, when it comes to GCP i didn't find any AMI related to PfSense in GCP market place. I followed some pages to launch pfsense it didnt worked for me, can anyone help me to launch PfSense in GCP?

1 1 1,770
1 REPLY 1

Hi @himaraj ,

GCP Marketplace do not have official Amazon Machine Images (AMIs) for PfSense. The GCP Marketplace focuses on offering pre-configured images, applications, and services tailored for the GCP environment, rather than AMIs intended for the Amazon Web Services (AWS) ecosystem.

However, it is still possible to use PfSense on Google Cloud Platform (GCP) by either deploying a custom image or manually configuring PfSense. PfSense, being an open-source firewall and routing platform built on FreeBSD, enables you to create a virtual machine (VM) within GCP and proceed with the installation of PfSense on that VM. You can check this discussion with instructions (as per community members, this worked for them).

Here are the general steps to deploy PfSense on GCP:

1. Create a new VM: In the GCP console, create a new VM instance based on your requirements. Ensure that you choose an appropriate machine type, disk size, and networking configurations.

2. Choose an operating system: Select a suitable operating system image, such as FreeBSD, during the VM creation process.

3. Install PfSense: Once the VM is provisioned, log in to the VM via SSH or the GCP console, and follow the instructions to manually install and configure PfSense on the FreeBSD operating system.

Alternatively, you can build a custom image with PfSense pre-installed and upload it to GCP for deployment. This approach allows you to create your own AMI-like image with PfSense and use it across your GCP projects.