Google Workspace Community Roundup: February 2022

Lauren_vdv
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to our monthly Community Roundup series! Check out our latest news and upcoming events, along with several new Community features to be aware of. 

workspace-roundup-february.png

Introducing new Google Workspace experiences

This month, the Google Workspace team announced several updates to smart canvas to help speed up workflows, make data-driven decisions quickly, and continue to support people-first collaboration.

workspace-new-smart-canvas.pngHere's a quick overview of what's new:

• Built-in summaries: Automatically generated summaries in Docs that provide a brief overview of the main points in a document, so you can quickly parse the information that matters and prioritize where to focus.

• Pageless formats: Remove the boundaries of a page in Docs to create a surface that expands to the device or screen you're using.

• Interactive building blocks: Quickly pull rich information from people, files, meetings, Maps, tables, and templates, directly into your document using @-mentions.

• Formula suggestions and corrections in Sheets: Gather insights from data faster with intelligently recommended formulas and functions based on your data. And coming soon, formula corrections will provide intelligent suggestions to troubleshoot formulas and catch errors.

What do you think of these updates? Let us know in the comments!

In case you missed it: AppSheet Office Hours

appsheet-feb-office-hours-roundup.png

On February 3rd, the Community came together for the first AppSheet Office Hours of the year. This session focused on recent AppSheet platform updates and the new AppSheet Community, with time for open Q&A with the AppSheet team.

If you didn't get a chance to join live, no worries! You can see the complete recap, including written questions and answers, as well as supporting documentation and resources, in this article here.

See the Recap

Meet the Expert: How to use shared drives 

Questions about managing content in shared drives? Then check out this Meet the Expert session recording to learn how you can get the most out of shared drives. 

Geared towards Google Workspace administrators, experts explain the difference between My Drive and shared drives. You’ll also learn how to create a shared drive, add members, set access levels, and manage files. 

Watch the Recording

Looking for help on other Google Workspace topics? Explore all the sessions from the Meet the Expert webinar series, including "How to troubleshoot your organization's Google Meet video meetings," "How to understand billing and subscriptions," and more. 

Top five contributors in February

We love to see how many of you are eager to participate in the Community's discussions. Let’s take a quick look at who contributed the most by replies authored and topics published in the month of February. Please meet our top five contributors:

1. icrew
  2. christiannewman
  3. Penelope
  4. kim_nilsson
  5. simon-smart

Thank you @icrew@christiannewman@Penelope@kim_nilsson, and @simon-smart for all your contributions!

And since February is a month about sharing the love, we have a special shoutout to @gontranleynaert@Stubloke@kim_nilsson@ayates, and @simon-smart for giving the most kudos (likes) this month. Thanks for showing your appreciation to other members in the Community! 👍

Top three conversations in February

1. Mac Spotlight not indexing Google Drive files in desktop
  2. Legacy (free) into Paid Workspace
  3. Google Chat in-line topic threading

Looking for more topics and discussions? Visit our Google Workspace forums and join the conversation or start something new.

Community feature updates in February

The Community Team continues to work hard to improve the Community based on your valuable feedback. Here are some recent updates to our Community features:

1. To help quickly visualize which posts you've read and which posts you haven't yet, unread message titles are bolded and read messages are unbolded.

unread-vs-read-posts.png

2. On mobile, we've made it easier to see which posts have an Accepted Solution by adding a green border around the post with the Accepted Solution. 

3. To help reduce the number of clicks you need to make to see more content, we've increased the default number of posts on the Community home page from 5 to 10. 

4. We've added a quick link in the forum feed, so now, you can jump to the most recent post of a thread right from the forum feed view. 

latest-post-forum-feed.png

5. Lastly, we've made a couple changes to the top navigation bar, specifically with the "Getting Started" tab, which was previously directly to the right of the "Home" page. We've heard feedback from Community Members that "Getting Started" sounds like getting started with Google Workspace, when in actually, it contains resources on getting started with the Google Workspace Community. So to help clarify, we've changed the name from "Getting Started" to "Community Resources."

In Community Resources, you can find help articles around creating an account, managing your subscriptions, how to provide feedback, and more. 

Also, to help make it easier to find and navigate to the most popular areas of the Community (i.e. forums!), we've moved "Community Resources" further to the right on the navigation bar, just to the left of Workspace Events.

ws-changed-top-navigation.png

We hope you enjoy our new feature updates and thank you to all our Community members who continue to make this space an engaging and informative place to be. If you have any feedback, please feel free to add your thoughts to the Community Feedback forum here or add a comment directly to this post. 

Make sure you don't miss out on the latest Community news, activities, or opportunities by subscribing to News & Announcements. To do so, go to the News & Announcements page and click on the blue button that says "Subscribe." You can also learn more about how to manage your subscriptions and notifications in this blog here

Thanks everyone. Until next time!

The Google Cloud Community Team

4 7 838
7 REPLIES 7

Once again, these roundup posts are awesome!

Bringing the best of the community to the forefront. So much great content, questions, answers and feature ideas are created each month.

Thanks for all you do to help make it a great place to be! @kim_nilsson 🙂

Love the roundup and thanks for the mention! I'm in here all the time and never noticed the bolded post titles! 🤣

Thanks for the mention, Lauren! I hope no one minds me asking a question but is there any way for when a post gets a new reply that I have not seen but I have seen the post before, it goes back to bold for me? I do appreciate that threads I have never seen before are bolded. 

Hi @Penelope, thanks for asking! This is something we're in the process of implementing. So stay tuned - we'll share in a future roundup when this functionality is live. 

If you have anything else that you think could help make your Community experience even better, then please don't hesitate to add it to the Community Feedback forum. Thank you! 

@Lauren_vdv, thank you for the answer! I appreciate it. And thank you for the Community Feedback forum link, I didn't know that even existed! 

Awesome! Loving the community management already!