Cost of App Engine with VPC Serveless for Static IP

Hello, I am using the free account for testing and in the future to implement and continue using your GCP services.

I have two applications on App Engine that probably won't even pass the free quota, if it does, it won't be much, however, I'm analyzing the revenue generated and I saw that it is generating a relatively high amount of value daily for a small application like mine, which could become impracticable.

I analyzed and saw that the cost probably refers to the configuration made using VPC serveless and Cloud NAT to use a static outgoing IP address for App Engine, as I need to connect to my MongoDB database on Altas in a secure way .

I followed the following tutorial for the same: https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/nodejs/outbound-ip-addresses?hl=pt-br .

Is this really the only viable solution for my case? I wouldn't like to open access for all in MongoDB and it doesn't seems a good idea using the range of IPs that google uses because it can changes. It seems to me that this way of having a static IP for App Engine will cost a lot for a small application since the VPC network needs at least 2 instances of an f1-micro VM. If this is the case, I may have to consider moving my platform to another cloud.

Solved Solved
1 1 123
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @machado36h,

Welcome to the Google Cloud Community!

Yes, this is the only viable solution for your case. In setting up your Outbound IP addresses for App Engine, it requires you to use Serverless VPC Access with Cloud Router and Cloud NAT.

If the cost is your problem, you can also contact Google Cloud Billing so that you can discuss any billing concerns. Hope it helps, thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hello @machado36h,

Welcome to the Google Cloud Community!

Yes, this is the only viable solution for your case. In setting up your Outbound IP addresses for App Engine, it requires you to use Serverless VPC Access with Cloud Router and Cloud NAT.

If the cost is your problem, you can also contact Google Cloud Billing so that you can discuss any billing concerns. Hope it helps, thanks!