GRPC Java service in cloud run

I am new to GRPC and Cloud Run. I have written a very simple grpc java service. The same service works fine when I run them locally. However, when I deploy to cloud run,I am not able to call the grpc server. The grpc service is listening on port $PORT(8080) as specified in the document.

The server code is

Server server = ServerBuilder.forPort(port).addService(this).build();
            server.start();

The following are the cloud run configurations for the grpc server

Ingress Control : Internal

Enabled Use HTTP/2 end-to-end

Authentication : Allow unauthenticated invocations

The java client which is also a cloud run service uses this code to connect with the grpc server

ManagedChannel channel = ManagedChannelBuilder.forAddress(grpcHost, grpcPort).usePlaintext().build();
SimpleGrpcServiceBlockingStub grpcStub = SimpleGrpcServiceGrpc.newBlockingStub(channel);

The grpcHost is xxxxx.a.run.app (without https) and the grpcPort is 8080.

The Client Cloud run service is configured with

Ingress Control : All (Allow direct access to your service from the internet)

Connect to a VPC for outbound traffic - Enabled

Send traffic directly to a VPC - uses default VPC

Traffic Routing - Route all traffic to the VPC

While running the client I get the following error 

io.netty.channel.ConnectTimeoutException: connection timed out: xxx.run.app/216.239.32.53:8080

What am I mising here ? Any suggestions.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Srinivasan

Solved Solved
1 2 260
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

Thank you for your response. The issue is that the client should listen to port 443. 

The following code change helped me to connect with GRPC server in cloud run

SslContext sslCtxt = GrpcSslContexts.forClient().trustManager(InsecureTrustManagerFactory.INSTANCE).build();

ManagedChannel channel = NettyChannelBuilder.forAddress(utilGrpcHost, utilGrpcPort)

.sslContext(sslCtxt).build();

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @srinimk,

Welcome to Google Cloud Community!

You may want to check this documentation on troubleshooting Cloud Run issues, especially the following points:

1. Verify that you can run your container image locally. If your container image cannot run locally, you need to diagnose and fix the issue locally first.

2. Check if your container is listening for requests on the expected port as documented in the container runtime contract. Your container must listen for incoming requests on the port that is defined by Cloud Run and provided in the PORT environment variable. See Configuring containers for instructions on how to specify the port.

3. Check if your container is listening on all network interfaces, commonly denoted as 0.0.0.0.

4. Verify that your container image is compiled for 64-bit Linux as required by the container runtime contract.

5. Use Cloud Logging to look for application errors in stdout or stderr logs. You can also look for crashes captured in Error Reporting.

You may also check this documentation for currently known issues for Cloud Run as this may affect your current setup.

If the aforementioned steps didn't work or were not applicable, you may file a bug so that our engineers could take a look at this. We don't have a specific ETA for this one but you can keep track of its progress once the ticket is created.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thank you for your response. The issue is that the client should listen to port 443. 

The following code change helped me to connect with GRPC server in cloud run

SslContext sslCtxt = GrpcSslContexts.forClient().trustManager(InsecureTrustManagerFactory.INSTANCE).build();

ManagedChannel channel = NettyChannelBuilder.forAddress(utilGrpcHost, utilGrpcPort)

.sslContext(sslCtxt).build();

Regards