Getting started question

I'm new to GCP and need help to determine which product should go with. Could you give me some direction?

I am looking to:

1. Build a dynamic website with Python
  2. Host the website on the cloud
  3. Store the website data in the cloud
  4. Develop an API which will cater to both the website and Mobile App

Thanks.

2 8 611
8 REPLIES 8

guillaume_blaqu
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi Oliver!!

I recommend you to start by something that you know and that works. Then try to modernize it: use container, use serverless product, use managed database, use managed API Gateway,....

You will encounter a lot of obstacle especially in security area, but it's not a problem, there is a lot of documentation and question on Stack Overflow to help you in this journey.

There are also a lot of great courses on Coursera and Pluralsight to learn and discover the foundation of Google Cloud

Hey Oliver!

You have tons of ways to build an application on GCP that satisfies your requirements!
AppEngine with Firebase would be a good solution for a more monolithic website, it handles load balancing and all kinds of cool stuff out of the box!
However, if you foresee your website to grow into multiple microservices you can look into something like GKE 🙂

Here are some additional resources to help you make an informed decision:

https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/compute/choosing-the-right-compute-option-in-gcp-a-decision-t...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tLXKCgqwLY

I think CloudRun would be a great place for you to start off at! It's very developer friendly, supports a flexible CLI/SDK, and gives you a path of least resistance if you ever need to move the workload to somewhere else.

There's a collection of tutorials available at https://github.com/steren/awesome-cloudrun which should have Flask/Django examples, but if you don't find what you're looking for feel free to ping me!

If that proves to be too complex or overkill for your project, you can also checkout AppEngine!

Cheers,
Mark

I

Seconded for Cloudrun. It's my favourite service on GCP, and I've used it to host ruby on rails apps, which are similar in nature to python/flask. You can also use cloudsql if you need a relational database to connect to, which is fully managed for you.

I was wondering if AppEngine is better off than Cloud Run for a small / mini website ?

I was wondering if AppEngine is better off than Cloud Run for a small / mini website ?

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the guidance. 

I am struggling to get anything working on Cloud Run.  I tried this tutorial   but have issues with the Secrets Manager and connecting to the Postgresql DB and then CSRF issues with the admin page login.  

I then tried this tutorial and got through the errors in the Secrets .env file issue only to land on the Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF) issues.  I have other tutorials but nothing that actually works.  I do not mind troubleshooting but I do not know how to get beyond some of these issues. Because I am a newbie I can't tell if it is the code, secrets, DB, user, environment variable or passwords.  Is there something that walks through like:

• Build the Django basic site (no DB or Secrets) -
  • Test and troubleshoot.
  • Add a DB (No secrets)
  • Test and troubleshoot.
  • Add Secrets (no Cloud Storage yet)
  • Test and troubleshoot.
  • Add Cloud Storage.
  •