The request was aborted because there was no available instance.

So about a month ago, I started getting the following error in one of my Cloud Functions when I run it's http trigger. 

The request was aborted because there was no available instance. Additional troubleshooting documentation can be found at: https://cloud.google.com/functions/docs/troubleshooting#scalability

It's a function that runs at most once every couple minutes, so I don't think it's a limit problem, right?

I would appreciate any guidance as to how to solve this. It's only on one function (there are others, but they're not being affected) and it randomly started about a month ago without me having changed anything. 

Here's some technical info about the function in case it helps

Region: us-central1
Memory allocated: 256 MB
Timeout: 60 seconds
Minimum instances: 0
Maximum instances: —
Build Worker Pools: —

Thanks!!!

0 5 3,242
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @scnctech,

Welcome to Google Cloud Community!

The error message you received indicates that there were no available instances of your Cloud Function to handle the incoming request. This could be due to several reasons, including sudden spikes in traffic or resource constraints. To troubleshoot the issue, you can check the function's logs and resource usage, increase the memory allocation or set a maximum number of instances. If the issue persists, you can contact Google Cloud Support for further assistance.

Thanks

OK, thanks for the support link. I'll contact them.

I have the same question. Most of our cloud functions have been running 12+ months with no issues, then a few months back we started getting the scalability message in the logs as well.
We're running them all with 512MB of memory and the max timeout limit set. Given they never consume more than 256MB and complete in ~ 5-10secs with no more that ~ 10-15 instances of the function being started during peak workloads, i'm not sure what the error/warning is for ? From what i can see, the function is started and run successfully even when these error messages are in the logs.

In my case the function is not run successfully. Client reports receiving an error message on their side. 

is there any solution?