File Naming Conventions in Google Drive

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on developing an internal FNC policy for my organization. We use Google Workspace and a shared drive to share and collaborate on Docs and Sheets,  as well as to store other relevant files. I've been researching different FNCs and have come across two main options:

1. Proposed FNC: YYYYMMDD_Category_FileTitle_V1.filetype

2. Simpler FNC: FileTitle DD-MM-YYYY

I'm leaning towards the simpler FNC because it's easier to read and remember, and it aligns with how Google Drive displays file names in browser tabs. However, my project manager is pushing for the more complex FNC, arguing that it will be more searchable and 'easier for the computer to understand.'

I'm not convinced that the granular FNC is worth the added complexity, and I'm worried that it will hinder productivity. I'm also concerned about the impact on user experience, as users may have difficulty understanding and remembering the complex file names. We already have a solid, organized folder hierarchy. So, as long as the file is stored in the proper folder and is titled with relevant keywords, it shouldn't be hard to find, given Drive's great search functionality. 

I'm hoping to get some feedback from other Google Workspace users on this matter. What FNC do you use in your organization? Is there any tangible benefit to going with the "old" way of naming things when it comes to stuff like Docs?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 0 896
0 REPLIES 0