Firefox and gmail error 001

Hi All

Hope I am writing this in the right section.

Since 16th of June our users started complaining about Gmail getting "oops the system encountered a problem (#001)".

Sadly we have a few tools that will only work on Firefox and most of our users are Linux users.

Using chromium does not have the same issue, removing cached data on firefox seems to solve the issue for few hours.

Issue is happening on all 3 OS's and different versions of Firefox, We did ask some users to remove chat bar from their gmail thinking that could be it but still the issue showed up. Also the issue is very random which makes it very hard to recreate and console output of the browser hasn't given us much lead. 

Any help would be appreciated.

1 16 8,760
16 REPLIES 16

Hello @skiamanesh,
Thank you for joining our Community. I'm moving your post to the Workspace Q&A. This will ensure that you get the assistance that you are looking for, as this board is a virtual watercooler to connect and network.

Thank you Jessica

Have you had them remove or turn off any extensions?

yes will all extensions and plugins off still same thing happens.

I should also mention that sometimes the error is not showing but some of the gmail buttons are missing or if an image is sent in chat it can't be displayed and is asking to download it.

I have this exact same issue with the exact same timeline as well. Only in the Firefox browser. No extensions. Have cleared the cache and had no luck. Besides the #001 error, we also get "the page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the data transmission was detected." This is happening on both Mac and Windows OS.

Mozilla Firefox has a somewhat long history of this type of problem with not only Gmail but other web-based email services.

Is there some particular reason that your users have to stay with Firefox?  There are several other Chromium-based browsers

available, besides Chrome itself of course.

We think for us it has to do with TLS, since we disable TLS on Firefox Config the issue does go away but that's not a solution.

For us we do have specialty written tools that utilize Firefox and will take time to change over to Chrome but it is something we are looking at and considering.

Did you updated FortiOS recently?

Yes in fact we have a fortigate firewall running 6.4.7 firmware.

We were on 6.4.2 or something โ€” almost everything was ... acceptable (you never can say "great" while using Fortigate!), but then after updating to 7.x it happened (AGAIN!) โ€” A LOT of encrypted connections (like HTTPS/FTPS/SSH and so on) started to fail with different meaningless errors. Even if I disable all inspection on the main allowing rule (honestly the policies already were set to more relaxed) โ€” still connection issues.
It can be fixed by creating specific protocol allowing (say, for HTTPS) rule and place it at the top of the main one (with ANY inspection disabled!) โ€” that way it work.
I believe FF was hit by this issues coz of some WSS specific things (we all know that FF handles WebSocket connection kinda differently than other browsers).

Funny you should ask. We do indeed have a fortigate firewall. Firmware version 6.4.7

Dmitry,

Same thing here. I have several policies with no inspection, no content filtering, etc., and still receive errors on those policies. I was originally on 6.2.9 when this issue started. Then I replaced our fortigate in August which came with 6.4.7. I was hoping the new firewall would get rid of this issue with FF, but unfortunately the problems still occur. I tried creating a policy at the top for 1.1.1.1 and cloudflare-dns.com for no SSL inspection as that is a DNS setting within FF, and the problem still persists.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Dan

Can you try to modify that test rule, allowing HTTPS without inspection for any destination, not just single one? You can limit the source address to your internal IP, in case of some security issues.
Then check a packets count on rule.

I have the exact same problem

However I can add that it works with private mode.

All google based services are affected, such as youtube, search page, and all services using google authentication.

I don't know if there is a fortigate firewall

I also confirm that safe mode is not helpful

Ok, so actually there is a fortigate firewall, but I have absolutly no way to change configuration.

Everything is ok at home, without this firewall.

@dmitry-chern  Is there a configuration in firefox to avoid theses problems?

@skiamanesh@drk1983 did you succeed to resolv the problem?

We did discuss this issue with Fortigate and since the issue just affects Firefox and not Chrome and Edge browsers they couldn't recommend changing any settings. I also want to mention that I started experiencing the same issue at home (no Fortigate) and Chrome has been solid.

What we did to fix the issue is under Firefox config disable TLS and for the last month we haven't had any complaints.

Top Solution Authors