Google Assistant: no access to calendar

i recently moved from old free workspace edition to Google Workspace Business Starter.

All Apps are switched on for all users in the admin panel.

When i go to the assistant settings and try to access my calendar it tells me, that there is no access to the workspace calendar.

Any additional idea?

thank you.

2 16 3,422
16 REPLIES 16

@widameista check out this page: https://support.google.com/a/answer/9620347?hl=en&fl=1

It sounds like it might be your issue. -KAM

@KAM : unfortunately not.

all settings are set correctly.
please see this thread as well: https://support.google.com/assistant/thread/145421738/google-assistant-can-t-access-workspace-data?h...

@widameista I am NOT a polyglot but would guess it's something to do with a lack of multiligual support.  Sorry, that thread is more information than I know!  Good find. -KAM

I do have the same issue. I think, it's really the lack of multiligual support. When I do switch my assistant to english, it does work. But if I use it in german it does not. I am waiting for calendar support in german for some years now. I do not understand why Google does not roll out it finally. Is there any possibility to get to know, why there is no progress?

Same problem here, i have Dutch language, and no access to workspace calendar, change language to English and then i have access.

@Jochemvdijk I did find this page and it has a copout of "Some features aren't available in all languages": https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/7394513?hl=en  -KAM

Fun facts:

I just had a support case open with Google about this last week. They completely refuse any support, they won't even tell you if it is supposed to work or not. The only answer you get from them is "It is not supported, bye bye". 

When this feature was initially announced a few years back, I was part of the beta, and it worked perfectly fine in German language. After the official launch and rollout, they disabled it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even know that it doesn't work in other languages. Workspace customer reports are not forwarded to the Assistant team, because, well, it's not supported 🙄

The most ridiculous part about this is: If I ask Amazon's Alexa: "Alexa, what is on my schedule tomorrow", it works. You can't make this stuff up.

I was waiting for years for that feature.

My initial configuration was "Spanish Language" for booth and never worked for me. I ask to Google Workspace Support and they come to me and make me do a lot of things at the phone (Screen captures, Logs, etc) for five or six days. One or two days after they send me an email saying that "sorry but isn't a Google Workspace problem but a Google Assistant Problem soooo... They can't solve" (????!!!!!!!).

Today i was reading this thread and i make some changes to my Google Assistant (In my Android phone and Google Home Mini Speaker). I change the FIRST Language to "English" and SECOND language to "Spanish" and... BOOOM! now is working in English and Spanish. I can ask to Google "Hey Google, what appointments do i have for Tomorrow" and it answer me in ENGLISH or i can ask "Hey Google, que citas tengo mañana" and it answer me in SPANISH.

Thanks for enlighten me with this change and i hope it works for others too!

UPDATE (10 minutes later)

Google assistant can read my appointments in ENGLISH and SPANISH but... Only can create events in ENGLISH ☹️

Yea, dual-language assistant only works to a certain extent. Many things do not work. As you mentioned, creating calendar events being one of them. You also can't tell the Assistant which calendar to use, unless you put your entire phone into English language as well. Lists and note taking doesn't work either (in english, you have been able to use Keep and many other tools like Todoist for note taking and lists - but not in other languages). 

@cryptochrome and @Rlopez2005 , I bet if you demonstrate ChatGPT can do it, you'll get some TLC. 😉 KAM

I just don't understand why Google doesn't fix this or does not want to move any forward.

Calendar access, reminders and notes do work in other languages with normal accounts. And they do work in english with workspace accounts. So why do they just not get it right with other languagues for workspace accounts? After all, it can't be that hard to implement. Especially since it worked in the beta.

And it would be a big step forward because it would make everyday work much easier.

Please, Google!

Same here. Edu account in Italian and it doesn't work. 

What I think we can do is to have our voice heard here 

https://twitter.com/GoogleWorkspace/status/1630327670490685442?t=LFbBy30dQyXzO8s9Y8c6dg&s=19

I bought Google nest hub for my calendar and it was still not available even in Japanese.
I will also switch to Alexa.

I was able to use the google assistant in Japanese by setting the primary language to English and additionally Japanese.

Any news on this topic? I am still having the same problem: When I set the primary language to English, the Assistant does access my Calendar. But it still doesn't work without this annoying workaround.

Is there any way to let Google know about this issue? It seems to exist in a lot of different languages.

By the way: Can you sync Google Keep with Assistant? It should be available now - but again, it only works for me with English as the primary language.

It's the same as always at the moment... There are riddles that remain... Perhaps Bard will solve this?

Top Solution Authors