Google Doc/Sheet "...was edited recently" emails

I have many Google Docs and Sheets that I have set notification rules on to email me if any changes are made to the doc/sheet. Frequently, I get an email titled "[Document Name] was edited recently" and the content of the email is as follows:

See the changes in the Google Document "2021 Seniority Attendance Sheet": Click here 

• John Doe made changes from 10/25/21 4:44 AM to 4:44 AM (Pacific Daylight Time)

Open the current version of the Google Document "2021 Seniority Attendance Sheet": Click here 

Powered by Google Sheets

When I click on the link to see the changes (I've disabled the link in this post), the doc opens but there is nothing highlighted to show changes. Similarly, if I open the doc normally and go to Version History, there is a basic entry in the version history with no changes.

On a few occasions I've checked with the user who allegedly made the changes and they tell me they simply opened the doc/sheet to view it. It seems as if Google is logging a change if a doc/sheets user who is an Editor simply opens a document to look at it. If no changes are made, it should either be logged as Viewed, not Edited.

Am I missing something or is this a problem for others as well?

0 3 1,074
3 REPLIES 3

Same happened to me.

Surely I can't be the only one that see's this as an issue? Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

I have the same issue, and when I click on the link it leads me to a particular tab on the spreadsheet for a page that is hidden that the others don't even see. There are no changes. I think the users who supposedly made an "edit", simply opened up the main page and looked at it and closed it. It's really a pain for me.