Google Drive - Restricted Access

Rrs

Can anyone help me?

I have shared a google drive folder and allowed others to edit it and a user has restricted any access to all of the files. It is my Google Drive so I should be able take control back?

0 4 4,225
4 REPLIES 4

What exactly do you mean has restricted any access to all files? (owners access can't be restricted. If you are not the owner of the file, your access can be removed at anytime even if the file is in your my drive)

If you are the owner of the folder or the individual files you cannot be removed from them, you always have access to content you own. If you create a folder you own the folder not necessarily every file within the folder. If you create a file inside the folder you own that file too.  If you share the folder with another user, if they create a file inside the folder, they are the owner of the file, even though it is in your folder. As they are the owner they can remove anyone from the file.

If you are the owner you can prevent editors from changing permissions and sharing.  When sharing if you hit the gear icon in the top right you will see this option and you can uncheck the permission.

Help article here: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/2494893?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop#zippy=%2Cprevent-ot...

This sounds like it specifically happening to you and not some sort of admin managing users content.  If so just clarify and and give some more details and hopefully we can help.

Iโ€™m having the same problem. A folder and files within it that I uploaded and shared has been marked as restricted by a user. Now Iโ€™ve lost access to any material in the folder. It doesnโ€™t show up in my files at all when I search for the specific file or sub folder. I canโ€™t recreate several of the documents and Iโ€™m confused about how the user who was set to have view only permission was able to change it to restricted. 

If you are the administrator from the domain, you can just go into the admin console, under drive, go to shared drive and make yourself the shared drive manager, update the settings of the shared drive so that all permissions are flat, if you have GAM you can also use GAM to update permissions