Google Non Profit Storage

Is anyone else on the Google for Non Profits with the 30 GB free storage? How are you overcoming the issue of Google taking away the ability to purchase additional storage space per user? All the Q&A and support documentation says Non Profits should have pooled storage but support tells me it is not implemented. Non Profits do not have the funds to upgrade the entire organization when a handful need additional storage. What have you done to get around this issue?

26 158 14K
158 REPLIES 158

I don't understand.  Are you saying that you have a user that needs greater than 30GB of storage?

Couldn't you simply create another account to gain another 30GB?

Or better yet, use Shared Drives?

Ideally, that is what I would do, but they have not implemented pooled storage for NonProfit Workspace.  I can't use shared drives for the most important account because we use it as our organization's file system and we have subfolder permission levels that shared drives do not allow.

@INMEDIT 

... I can't use shared drives for the most important account because we use it as our organization's file system and we have subfolder permission levels that shared drives do not allow.

Ideally you should make a separate Shared Drive for those more restrictive folders, add the more restrictive permissions to the Shared Drive then you have the permissions you want.  If you want these folders to appear in the folder hierarchy on the more open shared Drive you can add the folders from the restrictive Shared Drive as Shortcuts to the more open Shared Drive.

Thank you, I had not thought of putting a shortcut in my file structure to a shared drive. I like that idea. I appreciate your help.

You are saying that we can no longer buy extra storage for individual accounts but instead need to upgrade the entire organization? 

Correct. This is the latest response I've gotten from Google Support "Thank you for contacting Google Workspace Support.
Upon checking with the support team we found that storage management is not available with Google Workspace for Nonprofits that's the reason it didn't work. We are sorry to inform you that according to the latest update the storage management would not be available with Google Workspace for Nonprofits". ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

Our Non Profit is also using this basic plan, we have access to pooled storage and are using shared drives. Still trying to figure out if we can upgrade licenses as required and not all at once. It is sad to see the ability to buy storage separately go away. Wish it was something the admin could just upgrade when required.

Bitter pill to swallow when you are on a tight budget.

Tychowerner, would you be willing to Google Meet with me? 1. if you are on non-profit with pooled storage, my account should be as well. Support showed me how to increase storage on the free account with pooled storage which I can teach you how to do it on your account so that you can increase individual users' storage. Support showed me and I did it but it did not work since my account doesn't have pooled storage working. Please send me a meeting notice at webmaster@inmed.org and maybe we can help each other.  Thanks!

Hi, please keep in touch in this thread.

Our non-profit have the same issue and it is becoming critical. Our  "space paying users" are still being charged every month but they cannot modify or upgrade the storage it is really frustrating. 

I agree. I have spoken to several support people and the one from Billing told me to contact them back in two weeks if I haven't heard anything that they are getting thousands of complaints about this. The more people who report it will get us a resolution. I have several users in the red who need to purchase more space and can't. I'm curious from the one person's comment who said they are on non-profit and do have pooled storage. If it's being rolled out to some and will eventually get to us, I'd like to know.

This seems like an important enough change that we should be getting some warning from Google and not learning about it from a user forum.

I have to correct my previous statement and indeed we do not have access to pooled storage, only able to use it with Shared Drives but not on mail for example. For now I have no issues with 30gb+ mailboxes but might become an issue in the future.

Hi INMEDIT,  what exactly did they show you how to do please help?

Chiming in to say my org is in the same boat -- a small handful of users coming up against the limit, can't afford upgrading the entire domain. Where in the admin interface would I look for the pooled storage option referenced by @INMEDIT ? Thanks.

In Google Admin on the left hand column click storage. If yours says Google Workspace, Storage Used 5.7 GB and then breaks it down by Gmail, Drive and Photos with the little picture and storage amount you are not using pooled storage. If it is a long colorful bar graph showing colors for each item (Gmail, Drive and Photos) with gray area for unused storage than you are using pooled storage. At the bottom of that page is "resources for you". All the help resources refer to pooled storage and how to get more space. Support told me on the free pooled account we could just add more users and change their maximum storage limit and then increase other people's maximum to match the same amount. You do this through the organization units or groups.  I figured out 4 users of 30 GB = 1 TB of storage to give to another user. But pooled storage isn't working despite all the support documentation. By the way how to add more users is also in that documentation. If anyone finds they do have pooled storage let us know so we can tell support we all need it.

Holy smokes! I just upped it to 40GB and it seems to have accepted that. WOW!! Thank you @INMEDIT !!

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 11.30.38 AM.png

Do you have that many users on the 30gb plan or what is your setup? This would need like 60 users 

I have about 60 users as well.

did it actually increase on the user? I increased mine there but it didn't affect the users ๐Ÿ˜ž

I try that yesterday in my admin console and hope it would take 24 hours to affect but it didn't affect the users, all users are still at 30GB .

Yep that doesnโ€™t work, i tried it a couple of weeks ago. Iโ€™ve been having to ask some users to backup and delete stuff. The users that have existing paid storage seem to have been grandfathered in to that plan. Hoping in the future we can buy extra storage as needed.

User managed storage licenses aren't grandfathered. They expire. Seen plenty of examples in the Product Forums, where it expires and the user gover over quota and into a Red only state.  The user can no longer send or receive email or create new docs.

OK, I was over-excited I guess. It appeared to let me set it to 40 but my users are still seeing 30 on their end(s). Sigh. Still, there's hope, maybe?

smh same, some folks are grandfathered in because they have an old account, the newer accounts cannot. Adding space on the org/user level doesn't do anything. Way to screw over the nonprofits.

There is no grandfathering. Once the subscription expires, the total will return to the standard, with no option to renew.

So.... if there is someone with a paid 200g plan and it gets returned to 30g what happens to their stuff?

They go over quota and effectively ReadOnly mode.

Need to either purge the data or upgrade to Business Standard or better.

Google Offers discounted pricing for Non-profits
https://www.google.com/nonprofits/workspace/compare/

Our non-profit can't afford the discounted pricing. And when we get a grant that might cover it, the funding might not be guaranteed yearly which would put us in a bind in future years without the funding.

Is this really true though?  I have 4 users with monthly subscriptions to extra drive storage and those accounts have been billed automatically each month even though Google took away the ability to subscribe to Drive upgrades for individual users a few months ago.

User managed storage has been discontinued. Admin managed storage
subscription / licences is still accessible for existing users, but those
that have not previously subscribed, cannot initiate a new
subscription/licenses.

Support told me Google forgot to inform us of this change which is why they are allowing 1 additional year of storage for those already paying for it per user. After one year when it's up for renewal, it will not renew and your account will bein the red unless the entire organization upgrades. I very simple solution would be to implement pooled storage for non-profits. The support person even taught me how to create more storage for select users by sharing the pooled storage amount but we do not have pooled storage. Google needs to resolve this quickly for us small non-profits with limited budgets.

One additional year starting from when?  It's a pretty heavy lift for Google to ask small non profits to either start paying much more than before, or migrate to another solution, without a lot of warning.  They forgot?

The 1 year thing doesn't sound right. Extending storage personally is only given to accounts older than 3 or 4 years so a more likely situ is that there are left over flags in the account, allowing them to go to one.google to purchase storage like a personal account. 

@snowdoggieii Everything I know as of this time is that when you hit one year, they will not allow you to keep paying for additional storage.  The storage product is EOL.  -KAM

One year from what? The last time your subscription rolled over?  I have one user that is paying month to month due to a miscommunication.  When does their year start? 

@EC_NZ one Year from June 2022.

Here's the KB https://support.google.com/a/answer/12005619?hl=en&fl=1

"Note: Weโ€™ve been working with our customers to transition them to Google Workspace since it launched in 2020. As of June 2022, the G Suite legacy storage add-ons are no longer available to purchase. If youโ€™re a customer with this add-on, weโ€™ll contact you when itโ€™s time to transition your storage to a Workspace offering."

-KAM

The quote you provided is what I was told by support as well. But it should would be nice to know where in the list our non-profits land so we can plan for what we should do until we get transitioned to workspace.

@INMEDIT Hi, is there any update you have on this issue, or any workaround since you have posted this thread? My organisation's storage status is critical now. Your comments can be very helpful. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚