Google Slides Link won't Open in App

I have a teacher who shared a link to a Google Slide through Seesaw with a 3rd grade class. They use iPad 9th Gens and are all at least on iOS 17. Every time they tap to open it, it opens in Safari or Chrome (my guess is because she is  forcing them to make a copy), then from there, they can tap open in the top right corner which then opens the Slide in the Slides app. The teacher swears that she's done this forever and it used to make the copy and open in the Slides app, bypassing the whole open in Safari or Chrome step. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you!

9 11 269
11 REPLIES 11

Have you tried uninstalling the Google Slides APP and reinstalling from the Apple APP store? As the forced copy link sharing method is functioning fine on my iPad. I'm thinking the Google Slides APP may need to be updated. 

We use Jamf to manage our iPads and I saw that there was an update, so I forced the update. When that did not work, I uninstalled then reinstalled. That did not work, unfortunately.

On my iPad I have the Chrome Browser set as my default internet browser. I wonder if that may make a difference?

We don't want it to open in a browser at all. It used to open directly in the Slides app after tapping on it in Seesaw. We would like to completely bypass a browser at all. I think it has something to do with forcing a copy from the teacher.

I understand you don't want it to open in the browser. My iPad opens the slides file in Google slides app when using the force copy link. I'm wondering if it could be because of the Chrome browser being set as default on my iPad. Google products seem to work best when they're seamlessly linked together.

Did anyone get this figured out? I have a teacher who clicks on her slideshow from Google Slides and it wants to open in a browser too. It says docs.google.com at the top. This just started happening to her. She just wants it to open in Slides. She has deleted and reinstalled the slides app on her iPad. 

Thanks for any help!

Hello vbcole,

Is it possible to provide a video of the issue for troubleshooting purposes?

Here is a picture of it. 

73522366128__7B6A5775-C0F8-45F7-A31F-815F6B6D70D5.jpg

โ€ƒ

Would really help if I could see a video of the steps the teacher was taking to open the Google slide on the iPad

I don't have a video either, but the steps are simple. The teacher assigns a Slide in Seesaw, students tap on the Slide link, it forces them to make a copy, opens in either Safari or Chrome browser, then they have to tap on the open button in the top right corner, and then it will take students to Slides app.

It used to go like this:  the teacher assigns a Slide in Seesaw, students tap on the Slide link, it forces them to make a copy, opens in  Slides app.

I'm happy to get a screen recording of it and post it, but it'll take some time. 

I should mention that it doesn't matter if Chrome is set as the default browser. It's doing it on iPads that have Safari as the default browser. My guess is that there was some update at some point that made this change. Not sure there is much we can do about it to be honest. Just wanted to ask the community if anyone else has encountered this issue.