Google Voice Error: Unable to Assign Phone Number. Try again.

I'm trying to create a Google Voice phone number for my organization. I'm logged into my Google Workspace and I'm following the steps to assign myself a number. After typing in the service address and clicking to assign a number I get an error that says "Unable to assign a phone number. Try again." 

Why am I receiving this error? Also, why is Google's system so bad that it doesn't have anything that explains why this error could be arising? 

4 12 2,750
12 REPLIES 12

Having the same issue myself right now, been happening for a full week. Did you ever find what was causing it?

@dd76 We're going on 11 days of the same issue. Did you ever find a solution?

Nope, it's still happening to us as well, almost a month at this point. Posted on multiple Google Voice forums and all I get are crickets... Hoping we make the switch to O365 soon.

Did you get it to work? You have to assign a license to the users via the administrator. It worked for me. Also I could be wrong but I think you have to use the area code as your registered number as well 

Thank you for your quick reply, dd76. Adding phone numbers = adding licenses. I don't understand how they wouldn't follow the money on this one and get it fixed even if for their own best interests.

What worked for me was i had to assign the users a license. Go to subscriptions, Google voice starter then youโ€™ll see licenses and assign the users you want to a license. I also believe once you do this you also have to assign a number with the same area code that you signed up with. Hope this helps 

Same error regardless of those steps unfortunately. Ultimately had to open up a ticket with Workspace support (after behind given the "Legacy Support" privilege by our Super admin. Waiting for an update on the ticket now. 

Same thing happening here! I assigned the license and did everything it says in the guidelines step by step and I am still getting the same message. Were you able to finally get it to work?  I cant contact actual support unless I upgrade to Enteprise, but why would I do that if what I have already paid for isn't working?! 

Haven't gotten it resolved yet.. Eventually had to open up a ticket with workspace support. Waiting for them to update the ticket now, hopefully its a fix that most people can use.

Our support case is still open. unfortunately.

Thanks for the feedback! That stinks!! 

Top Solution Authors