Greetings from Woking, UK

Hi,

I'm Martyn.  I'm a Senior SysOps/Systems Administrator from Woking, UK (where H.G. Wells wrote and published some of his most famous and work, including the War of the Worlds) in the e-commerce industry, supporting some of the biggest e-commerce clients in the industry. 

I've been using Google Workspace ever since Google first started beta testing Google For Your Domain way back in 2006. These days I'm running Google Enterprise Plus for myself and helping manage my employer's Google Business Starter accounts.   Previous to e-commerce, I've worked in the film and TV visual effects industry (the Harry Potter franchise being one of the biggest set of projects) and the web hosting industry.

I'm a previous on-off Top Poster/Contributor for the Community between 2007-2009, but these days I like to step away from computer-related things when I'm not working.   I initially created and maintained the Wikipedia page for the 1971 Australian hit, "The Pushbike Song".  I've interviewed a number of literary writers and film/TV/radio screenwriters for several websites that I used to run, and these days my own personal web site is now entirely powered by the new Google Sites.  I'm a big Apple fan (getting quite the reputation at work for it), and currently use an M1 MacBook Pro.

I also enjoy cycling and swimming, and long walks - and travel is a big passion of mine (my ex-wife is a travel agent, so we got to see a LOT of the world in the 12 years we were married for relatively little expense).  I'm also a big film and TV fan too, with an extensive physical and Apple iTunes movie collection.

4 3 242
3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome Martyn! I lived in Australia for 7 years but this is the first time I've heard The Pushbike Song. 🤣

Thanks

Hello Martyn! Greetings from Woking, UK! It's fascinating to hear about your role as a Senior SysOps/Systems Administrator in the e-commerce industry, especially being based in a town with such rich literary history. I can imagine you enjoy your work amidst the legacy of H.G. Wells, who famously penned his works here, including 'War of the Worlds.' Your connection to Woking's literary heritage must be quite inspiring, much like enjoying on castle steeped in history and creativity. Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences!